Flying with one engine

dresoccer4
Go to solution Solved by Fastbreak,

Confused here, as even with 0 weapons and 50% fuel (aka super lightweight) I am unable to stay flying with an engine failure. i thought that was the point of having 2 engines, so you have redundancy?

I feel like I'm missing something here, is there a switch you have to flip to enable 1 engine fligth?

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• Solution

In-flight Single Engine Failure
If one engine fails or there is an automatic engine shut down due to the free-turbine (FT) protection function of the electronic engine governor EEG in case of a FT over-speed, be aware of the following:

Single engine failure indication:
- Rotor RPM decreases and the «zebra» light (rotor speed less than 85%) illuminates
- Noise of an engine shutting down
- Uncontrollable descent of the helicopter
- Ngg and EGT decrease for that failed engine
- Engine inlet oil pressure drop (by the oil pressure gauge)
- Ngg increase in still operating engine

Actions to take:
1. Decrease collective pitch to avoid rotor RPM less than 85%.
2. Check the instruments to identify which engine has failed and close its cut-off and shut-off valves.
3. Set airspeed to 110 to 120 km/h and move the throttle control lever of the still operating engine up to FULL mode position to regain the rotor RPM.
4. Make sure there’s no fire aboard the helicopter.
5. Open the fuel cross-feed valve.
6. Make sure the remaining engine is operating normally and that the helicopter is able to maintain horizontal flight and maintain altitude.
7. Decide whether to do an emergency landing or to continue the flight.

Manual 10 -47

• Thanks 2

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

33 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

In-flight Single Engine Failure
If one engine fails or there is an automatic engine shut down due to the free-turbine (FT) protection function of the electronic engine governor EEG in case of a FT over-speed, be aware of the following:

Single engine failure indication:
- Rotor RPM decreases and the «zebra» light (rotor speed less than 85%) illuminates
- Noise of an engine shutting down
- Uncontrollable descent of the helicopter
- Ngg and EGT decrease for that failed engine
- Engine inlet oil pressure drop (by the oil pressure gauge)
- Ngg increase in still operating engine

Actions to take:
1. Decrease collective pitch to avoid rotor RPM less than 85%.
2. Check the instruments to identify which engine has failed and close its cut-off and shut-off valves.
3. Set airspeed to 110 to 120 km/h and move the throttle control lever of the still operating engine up to FULL mode position to regain the rotor RPM.
4. Make sure there’s no fire aboard the helicopter.
5. Open the fuel cross-feed valve.
6. Make sure the remaining engine is operating normally and that the helicopter is able to maintain horizontal flight and maintain altitude.
7. Decide whether to do an emergency landing or to continue the flight.

Manual 10 -47

thanks, i got it to work. I think there was something wrong with my other engine as well because I couldn't stay in the air. i reloaded and manually shut down 1 engine in flight and was easily able to maintain speed and altitude (after ejecting weapons)

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Okidoki 👍

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"