Amd or nvidia for Dcs vr?

Skwirl865

Much of a muchness at the moment the more powerful you can afford, the less tweaking you're going to have to do add less compromises you'll have to make 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

I would just get what you can afford, DCS isn't currently able to leverage the latest and greatest developments in gpu technology so a few extra mhz if clock speed here and there aren't likely to make any noticable difference.

People have had good results from Nvidia and AMD, the AMD cards theoretically have an advantage through more vram but not sure if that's even a bottleneck in DCS.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

8 hours ago, edmuss said:

I would just get what you can afford, DCS isn't currently able to leverage the latest and greatest developments in gpu technology so a few extra mhz if clock speed here and there aren't likely to make any noticable difference.

People have had good results from Nvidia and AMD, the AMD cards theoretically have an advantage through more vram but not sure if that's even a bottleneck in DCS.

That’s the main thing and reason I’m asking. Dcs uses a lot of vram. I’m running a 2080 super now and depending on my settings, and especially in the Syria map, it’ll exceed the 8gb of vram on my card and what happens when it does that is it’ll get the extra memory from system ram which is much slower. Once it does that, it stutters really bad and the frames drop to less than half which in vr is completely unplayable.  The problem is, it then keeps using that system memory and the frames stay like that until u restart dcs. 
mom wondering if the 16gb in the amd cards is actually beneficial or does the nvidia cards 10-12gb not limit it and with dcs in particular, perform better. 
the nvidia cards have a really good video encoder in case u ever want to stream and they’re better with ray tracing which are non factors in dcs but still a potential future benefit and may help retain value down the road.
Each brand works better than the other depending on which game you’re testing but none of the reviewers test with dcs.
this is the only place to ask this question. 
i wanna know which side dcs is on because if the added vram makes a difference in dcs or dcs performs better at all with amd, that’s what I wanna go with.  That’s the priority for me. 

I have seen DCS  use up to 14 Gb of my VRAM on my 3090 card.  I don't always measure it so there may be times it uses a little more or little less depending on mission I suppose.

• Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

For reference, I can run max textures on my 8gb 3070. On maximum textures I use 7.8gb of vram, on minimum textures I use 7.8gb of vram; in either case Windows task manager reports 100-300mb shared video memory used but never more. Essentially DCS will allocate as much vram as it can (up to a point) and use it accordingly. I don't think there is a specific point that it suddenly kills performance.

I think what you might be experiencing is the vram hole bug whereby the framerate suddenly tanks, I think it's specific to steamvr and dcs as it doesn't happen when using the openxr mod.

When it happens try alt tabbing until the framerates settle down again, it's only a temporary fix though. I've had less instances of it happening with HAGS turned on but then had instability in steamvr.

On 3/19/2022 at 7:38 PM, edmuss said:

For reference, I can run max textures on my 8gb 3070. On maximum textures I use 7.8gb of vram, on minimum textures I use 7.8gb of vram; in either case Windows task manager reports 100-300mb shared video memory used but never more. Essentially DCS will allocate as much vram as it can (up to a point) and use it accordingly. I don't think there is a specific point that it suddenly kills performance.

I think what you might be experiencing is the vram hole bug whereby the framerate suddenly tanks, I think it's specific to steamvr and dcs as it doesn't happen when using the openxr mod.

When it happens try alt tabbing until the framerates settle down again, it's only a temporary fix though. I've had less instances of it happening with HAGS turned on but then had instability in steamvr.

I don’t use steam vr. It happened to me in standalone. I’m not sure what it was. I figured it was that because it never happened except when vram exceeded the 8gb on the 2080 super but happened every time it exceeded even tho it only barely exceeded it at all. 

Guys, DCS just takes all the VRAM that it is available (allocation) and then uses what it needs. It doesn't mean that it uses everything, it just reserves it for itself just in case.

But yes, it is an inefficient process and DCS is full of memory leaks.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria