NVG visibility of ranging laser?

Torbernite

I'm not sure where to put this question. I noticed a screenshot of MAD campaign:

dcs-world-flight-simulator-19-mad-campai

Seems to be a marking beam from the viviane. And I tried in SP mission and got this:

image.png

Only the spot could be seen and can't see the beam.

I know whether the IR laser beam could be seen depends on power and weather in reality. But I don't know if the ranging laser used to be visible in the game before. Or that screenshot was taken in other way or I have any option wrong?

Also I noticed a script. Could something like this be used to create an official updated screenshot?

Edited by Torbernite

Human allowed, demon allowed, Deka never allowed.

Distort allowed, provoke allowed, fight back never allowed.

Looks like its that script because i just found it and started using it 😄

Update just tried the free mission 6 from this campaign its not the same script and seems similar but i think its a preset target kinda thing as this is done in the L version and seems just to be scripted into the mission for certain targets or something.

the script that you linked i tried this morning and this uses the vivian in the M version and you actually lase just like you would with any other designator its really cool. 🙂

Edited by shinobi61
update
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Most ranging lasers used by militaries are NdYag lasers that operate at 1064nm.

Most 3rd gen NVG's operate up to about 850-900nm. Therefore you aren't going to be able to see anything for an actual ranging laser. If you can its mismodeled.

There are laser marker lasers that typically operate at 830nm which are designed for NVG's to see, but they aren't used in military LRF's. 

• Like 2

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).