Instruction Required

Pwgilbert

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 2:17 AM, Pwgilbert said:

Would anyone be interested in teaching me how to employ air-to-air combat in the P-51?

Scatter

I fly only against AI and don't have VR. I own Mustang, Thunderbolt, and Spitfire, and still I feel the most confident when dogfighting in Mustang. The advantages of Mustang are superb gun sight with lot of lead, stability, speed, glass cockpit with great visibility. Disadvantages are slower turn rate, and that it can climb vertically for very limited time because of the engine overheating. I use RPM and MP almost to the maximum, maybe at, say, 97-98%. The AI will often climb vertically with no problems with the engine. So if you follow the enemy in a vertical climb, keep the speed over 100 mph and try to aim well and hit him the hardest you can. When the speed drops to 100 mph, immediately cut off the fuel and go to a dive to avoid engine overheating. If you aim well, Mustang can do miracles, so maybe the most important thing is to practice the aiming.

• 11 months later...

I found its not easy, it gets better after about 50,000 hrs of flight time lol. Dont use combat mix ammo belt, ground attack is better it seems. I made a practice map offline with unlimited ammo so you can get used to where the convergence is on the guns of you'll just be splatter gun and put a bunch of holes in them.  And defensive learn to go into a dive, you can go 500 mph in 51 without taking the wings off if your gentle. German plan will follow and compress and go in the ground most times unless they are really good. But they have no control if they go too fast and you can get away then regroup.