VRP strange behaviour THDG

RagnarBSE

Your IP/STPT1 is 10,000' elevation. By consequence the TGT location is offset 050/10nm at 10,070'. Here's a track to show you. I think this is a bug as all ELEV should be independent.

ddd 10000foot elev.trk

I modify your mission so steerpoint elevation are at ground level. IP is the bow of the ship at X-00130108 Z-00126420 elev 0. TGT is the middle of the train station X-00116546 Z-00111350 elev14. DED data: VIP-TO-TGT is 10.9nm 13562X (north) 15,090Z (east) which is 48.0°.

Here is a track with a normal attack. Notice that I do not designate either HUD or FCR, only slewing sensor to align IP mark with IP object and TMS right to change sighting point from IP to TGT.

ddd attack.trk

If you designate HUD on IP sighting point it will assume your current airplane position (overfly) is IP and offset TGT accordingly. If you designate 5nm away from IP then TGT will be 5nm wrong as well in the same direction. Only HUD designate on overfly (not sure if real). What's nice is HUD designate automatically switches sighting point from IP to TGT for you. You can designate "FTT" on the FCR which does you no harm but also no good as the FTT is kinda fake so it's the same as just not designating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frederf said:

Your IP/STPT1 is 10,000' elevation. By consequence the TGT location is offset 050/10nm at 10,070'. Here's a track to show you. I think this is a bug as all ELEV should be independent.

It's an offset from the IP, and so is the elevation. This is consistent with how this feature works, by taking a known reference point and inputting the data in relation to it. The map won't always be 100% accurate, including the elevation at a given point, but it's fairly easy to calculate the difference if you can see and range both the target and the IP from the same point. Normally, in the Viper the steerpoints would be set to the elevation of the ground at the given location, but they don't have to, and in such situations weird things like that can and will happen.