Building an aircraft panel - legal stuff question

Hi, I am wondering what is a process if you want to build pice of hardware based on a military aircraft, in example UFC or gear panel and sell it? I guess some kind of licenses should be obtained? 

AMD FX 8350 4.0Ghz, 16gb DDR3, MSI R9 390, MS FF2 & CH Throttle PRO, track IR 4 & Lenovo Explorer VMR

as far as the legal ramifications. if you are making something for yourself, normally you would not run into patent issues. now on the other hand. if you replicate a patented part and sell it, the patent holder would have to agree. there are companies selling UFC replicas. i have no idea if they have an agreement. it could be that since the manufacturer is in a country other than where the patent is registered, the patent situation can be sidestepped. 

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 7/4/2022 at 12:41 PM, silverdevil said:

as far as the legal ramifications. if you are making something for yourself, normally you would not run into patent issues. now on the other hand. if you replicate a patented part and sell it, the patent holder would have to agree. there are companies selling UFC replicas. i have no idea if they have an agreement. it could be that since the manufacturer is in a country other than where the patent is registered, the patent situation can be sidestepped. 

I'm far from an expert, but I would also suspect that since most of these manufacturers are in the defense industry, not the hobbyist flight sim industry, these parts are not exactly on their legal radar, even if they are technically patent violations.  Even that would be suspect though, because outside of copying the form of the various panels, we're definitely not replicating their "real-life" function.  Movie Prop manufacturers would have a lot of headaches if patent law was that strict.  But again, I literally have no idea what I'm talking about.

1 hour ago, Sielu said:

I'm far from an expert, but I would also suspect that since most of these manufacturers are in the defense industry, not the hobbyist flight sim industry, these parts are not exactly on their legal radar, even if they are technically patent violations.  Even that would be suspect though, because outside of copying the form of the various panels, we're definitely not replicating their "real-life" function.  Movie Prop manufacturers would have a lot of headaches if patent law was that strict.  But again, I literally have no idea what I'm talking about.

agreed. if someone can see some piece of equipment, and have a general understanding what it does, it could be copied. keep in mind that wherever the equipment is produced as a copy may not have economic treaties with the country that got copied. and sometimes the equipment turns out to be better. a perfect example is the TU-4. a b-29s had to make an emergency landings in eastern USSR. the soviets asked for the bomber to be supplied lend-lease but were denied. so it was ordered to make copies of the plane. US protesting the action really did not matter.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain