Mirage radar elevation

Ian Boys UK

After the first target I find the radar elevation is often pointed way down, often giving me a scan of say -36 to -56 meaning I can't see my next target (or anything at all). There's no slider/axis binding so it takes forever to raise the antenna to a useful elevation, meaning it becomes a bit useless.
It would be GREAT to have a centre radar elevation button or similar to get it pointing forward again. Or even better, stick it on an axis as for every other aircraft.

The concept of an elevation axis doesn't work on the mirage, because of the way it works. Elevation gets memorized between modes, for instance if a lock is lost the radar starts searching again at the last known contact elevation, not at the previous search elevation. With an axis this behavior would be lost, as soon as you loose the lock and the axis moves slightly the elevation would be lost and back to the search elevation.

There are many other cases of this, such as every mode with an elevation having is own stored elevation setting. This only works with a up/down button logic.

The real aircraft has an up/down rocker switch with fixed speed and no center button, we have reproduced the behavior and elevation speed precisely. It takes just 5 seconds to go between extremes -50° to +50°. It's absolutely usable in real life and thus it is in the DCS module too!

Edited by Kercheiz
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Kercheiz said:

The concept of an elevation axis doesn't work on the mirage, because of the way it works. Elevation gets memorized between modes, for instance if a lock is lost the radar starts searching again at the last known contact elevation, not at the previous search elevation. With an axis this behavior would be lost, as soon as you loose the lock and the axis moves slightly the elevation would be lost and back to the search elevation.

There are many other cases of this, such as every mode with an elevation having is own stored elevation setting. This only works with a up/down button logic.

The real aircraft has an up/down rocker switch with fixed speed and no center button, we have reproduced the behavior and elevation speed precisely. It takes just 5 seconds to go between extremes -50° to +50°. It's absolutely usable in real life and thus it is in the DCS module too!

Ah OK. It takes me a LOT longer using the encoder dial - seems I need to find another binding then. Thanks for the answer.

Is your axis a springloaded axis or a stable axis?

Yes, the encoder is a bad idea, you need continuous press while encoder send pulses.

The thing is really designed to be used with a 3pos springloaded. Any 5way hat can do, and you still have two other directions for other tasks. Or a 3way hat.

• Like 1