FLIR AZ/EL page functions only when donor tracks become onboard tracks

AroOmega

The F/A-18C Early Access Guide state on page 387 the following behavior for FLIR and AZ/EL page:

When the sensor mode is set to FLIR, releasing TDC designate when the cursors are over a trackfile commands the FLIR LOS to that trackfile. The FLIR will continuously track that target, even when the L&S changes. Boxing the L+S pushbutton (see FLIR Sensor Mode, above) will return FLIR LOS to the L&S.

This behavior works as described when the tracks being "TDC released" on are onboard tracks (visible on your radar).

Attempting to perform a "TDC release" on an offboard track still partially works; doing so boxes the "SLAVE" text and the track is "remembered". However, the TPOD does not track properly. If the track is picked up by radar and becomes an onboard track, the TPOD snaps to the correct point and behaves.

This behavior can be seen by switching a track back and forth from onboard and offboard via radar slew or silencing the radar.
This behavior appears regardless of when the track is "TDC released" meaning you can start with either an onboard or offboard track and the same result is seen.

The attached track file shows the behavior (PG map, ATFLIR, DCS version 2.7.18.30348)
In the track you will see multiple AZ/EL page "TDC release" actions onto both onboard and offboard tracks. Behavior of FLIR is shown to snap on and off tracks as they switch from onboard to offboard and back. Notice the "SLAVE" text boxed when a track is "remembered" and has been properly "TDC released" on.

EDIT:
Just a note of why this feature, when working, is so cool: Using the FLIR pod in this way is almost like having an IRST but with the "S" replaced with your DL. The FLIR tracked air functionally works for a lot of stuff like AIM-9 aiming, keeping a DT2 track while in STT, etc. You can use datalink and FLIR to be sneaky and track targets without turning on your radar, maintain tracks when the target drops off radar in a notch, or launch a FOX-1 while keeping an eye on his wingman via the DT2 track.

flir_azel_page_not_slaving_to_donor_tracks_when_offboard.trk

Edited by AroOmega
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Checked again in the current open beta version as of 10/19/2022 and it's still an issue. Same behavior where it shows SLAVE boxed, slaves the FLIR incorrectly to boresight and properly resumes the track once your radar picks up the one you've already slaved the FLIR on.

Would it be helpful if I uploaded a shorter track? I know the first one mainly shows it best near the end of the track. 

Edited by AroOmega

• ED Team

Hi, 

slaving weapons and sensors to MSI targets and donor targets is on our wish list for later. 

thank you

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks for the reply @BIGNEWY! It means a lot 🙂 

I would like to advocate for this to be considered an existing bug of the AZ/EL page instead of a new feature of MSI.

The reason I think this should be considered a bug is that it's already be implemented as described in the Hornet Early Access guide. The guide calls out datalink tracks, the selection works as expected, the boxing works as expected, the AZ/EL page "knows" it's slaved to that target (even DL targets). The only issue is the that the TPOD movement to boresight.

Unlike MSI features that are yet to exist, this one is nearly fully functional and does successfully slave to the DL target just fails to point the TPOD in the right direction. Sorry if I'm describing it poorly, the subtle detail I'm trying to highlight with is that the MSI part seems to be working already.

I know MSI includes work that crosses over lots of Hornet systems and sensors. This specific issue seems to be different from those wished-for items in it's currently implemented and documented.
MSI features like LOS tracks or generating tracks from TPOD points might not effect this since the AZ/EL has working support for slaving to DL tracks.

My hope is that this is a bug of an already implemented behavior and won't fall under the MSI epic, or be prioritized with MSI features (and I'm hopeful this might be a low-hanging fruit bug) 🤞

Thanks for the time! Have a good day 🙂 

Edited by AroOmega
  • Thanks 1