Not enough HDMI outputs on Graphics card

lesthegrngo

Guys, since Windows stopped recognising my 1060 card that was installed alongside the 3070, I now have insufficient graphics outputs for the six total monitors I have

I heard that Display port screens can be daisychaned, which doesn't help me as none of the screens use DP, only HDMI. Is there some way to connect more HDMI devices and still have them as individual screens?

Cheers

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo

You can get an MST hub to split a display port or you can daisy chain monitors if they have display port in and display port out sockets (the last in the chain doesn't need an out). In both cases, there are limits on what's supported, check your docs. If you use an MST hub you can then use DP->HMDI adaptors to connect your HDMI displays.

Alternatively, I have one of these (Startech USB32HD4) in my cockpit to drive all the auxiliary displays. Each port shows as a separate display, can be different resolution and aspect, etc.

CS34736-40.jpg

They're a little expensive but I do not recommend the cheaper options. I tried various cheaper units (starting with using multiple inexpensive USB->single HDMI) and all gave me a variety of issues. Plus I spent substantially more messing around with those than buying a decent unit would have cost.

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, that looks exactly what I want. Searched on Amazon and that one didn't appear so need to see if any other seller will ship to Doha. Essentially I just need it for the four small (two 10", two 7") monifors on the dash, and that would also help with cable management

So as far as I can see this runs off USB? No HDMI in?

Cheers

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo

Exactly, just a USB. No HMDI, no power input, etc. Very easy. To make sure it has plenty of bandwidth I connect it directly to my PC, not to one of the USB hubs. (it would probably be fine going through the hubs but I had a good USB extension cable spare after going from three smaller hubs to two really big ones).

Search for startech quad HDMI and you should find it. On amazon.co.uk they list the USB-C version but you can then select the USB A model which is slightly cheaper. Alternatively, you'll find these at business IT suppliers.

Linky

I got some short, ultra thin HDMI cables and it's much tidier than it was.

Linky

Edited by Scott-S6

Yep, found it on Amazon UK, there's a 4K capable and a non 4K capable one. For the small difference in cost I'll go for the 4K capable one in case it becomes necessary. I'll get my son to bring it out at Crimbo time. 

I will plug it into the MOBO 3.0 port, but it's a C type connector, I assume that for this to work with the least lag it's best to get a good cable? I have no C type ports in my MOBO

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo

The lesser bandwidth of an A port may restrict your ability to run the higher resolutions (not that there's any point running high-res aux displays, I actually sought out lower resolution monitors). Unless the cable is a considerable length or run past interference sources I wouldn't worry about quality too much.

• Like 1

Thank you for this information.   I had hit the limit of 4 outputs (Nvidia restriction) even though my 3070 Master has 6 outputs.   Hoping this works!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5bV4s1Lo4iULZ5cF9 

Edited by Sting57

Win11 64bit, AMD Ryzen 58003DX, GeForce 3070 8GB, 2TB SSD, 64GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz _ full 1:1 FA-18C Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/@TheHornetProject

There is both a processor and memory impact to using USB display drivers and it varies between devices. The cheapest devices will offload as much as possible of the work to the driver to make the device as cheap as possible. Better ones will do more of it in hardware for performance.

ETA - this was quite interesting.

With all displays static there is no increase in CPU load. Memory usage with four displays attached to the USB adaptor is increased by 0.6GB

Comparing the F16 in flight and on the ground with four displays (mfds, ehsi, rwr) I see approx +10% of total proc with cockpit displays set to 512 and +20% of total proc with cockpit displays set to 512 every frame (compared to having DCS render the same displays (512) and area but the USB adaptor is disconnected).

So, there is a non-trivial increase in CPU usage associated with these adaptors (which I expected) but it can be considerably reduced by rendering cockpit displays every other frame (which I hadn't considered).

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lesthegrngo said:

interesting, where do you select that?

Cheers

Les

In the main graphics setting you can pick a few different options for the cockpit displays (also affects mirrors, I believe).

256, 512, 512 every frame, 1024, 1024 every frame.

If you pick one of the options that doesn't say "every frame" they are rendered in alternate frames.

Edited by Scott-S6

• 3 weeks later...

Just closing the loop on this one,  I ended up buying the USB to HDMI splitter.  Been using it now for a couple of weeks and so far no issues.   My max FPS is 60 due too tv refresh rate  so I am not 100% sure if there has been a performance impact that I just can't see.  Either way my FPS didn't before and still does not drop below 60 FPS.

Win11 64bit, AMD Ryzen 58003DX, GeForce 3070 8GB, 2TB SSD, 64GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz _ full 1:1 FA-18C Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/@TheHornetProject

Fantastic, on it's way (via son number 2 who will be visiting soon)

Another (probably stupid) question. I don't want to hamstring this by using a USB cable that will affect it, I assume a USB 3.0 extension cable will be required but am struggling to find any locally, at least not advertised as such. What specs do I need to look for?

Les

• Like 1