Missions with AI wingman…..how useful?

markturner1960

What’s the current state of play with AI wingmen? I have only just started doing some missions that include these and they don’t seem to do much. What’s the best way of getting them into action? I usually have enough on my plate flying the Helo, managing George ( as while he will attack things if directed he does not really do anything without my say so) to micro manage wingmen and pick targets etc as well……..

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I use Helo AI wingman a lot with the AH64…..most of the time I have one on my side. I prefer two ship formations for easier control. Four ship formations are difficult to control just for me….others may find this different.

I think, they really improved since some time!!!….especially using hellfires from distance they are really better. 👍 And they fly best when staying in formation at your side. I don‘t them maneuver too hard close to the ground on their own to avoid touching trees or obstacles. So they need some care….I often use rejoin command.

There‘s still some things I‘d wish to be improved…an order to get them into a hover to stop at a certain position for example would be great👍….I never order them to hold position close to the ground via the actual wingman command. I think, there‘s a great  risk they crash into ground or obstacles then in moments.

I‘m always short of a heartattack when my AI wingman starts attacking infantry or vehicles with guns. He tends to get to close into enemies weapon range and risks being shoot out of the sky…..Rockets are more effective since some time against infantry and small armoured vehicles👍, but AI helo gets in close range with enemy before shooting, too.

Overall, they are welcomed friends in missions for me and can offer great support….It would also be great if ED works on further improving helo AI wingmen.👍

Edited by corbu1
  • Like 2

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

Thanks, any tips on managing them and what commands etc to use certain situations and scenarios? I did not see a weapons free command for example, which would be useful, is this possible or do you have to instrcut them to attack anything? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

On the commands side I try to keep it simple and use only a few commands.

commanding attacks I use the engage commands from radio menu like engage ground targets or engage air defenses to be more specific on those threats. When armed with hellfires he strikes from save distance tanks, sam‘s or Shilka‘s very good.

I noticed, sometimes AI wingman engages bmp‘s with rockets even if he still has hellfires left on rail. He fires the rockets from close range and in weapon range of the super efficient AI enemy gunners which ends no good for my Wingman. I wonder, if others noticed this too. To avoid this, sometimes I arm my wingman only with hellfires.

When I leave cover and expose to the enemy, I use Cover me command. AI wingmen will try to protect me from threats and engages them.  As said I keep an eye on him as I think he tends to get in close contact with the enemy which makes him vulnerable. In this case I try to call him back with join up command and he rejoins formation.

As said if you want wingman striking from save distance you could try arming him only with hellfires but no rockets. 
You could also try no gun ammunition, but then I believe he would not engage  infantry……and an attack chopper without gun?….. This is some kind of torture I feel😢…we have one in germany🤣

I use formation commands very rare only , as I think excessive provokes collisions of your wingmen in flight when near the ground. 

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

On 11/8/2022 at 11:31 PM, markturner1960 said:

What’s the current state of play with AI wingmen? I have only just started doing some missions that include these and they don’t seem to do much. What’s the best way of getting them into action? I usually have enough on my plate flying the Helo, managing George ( as while he will attack things if directed he does not really do anything without my say so) to micro manage wingmen and pick targets etc as well……..

With Ah-64 and Hind, I keep using wingmen with great effect. I find them useful especially in rather hostile environment distracting GBADS. Engage enemy air defenses is a brilliant command. 

ok, thx, will try these suggestions out!

• Like 1

thanks!I keep saying, there should be a better way to file organise and find these amazing mods and missions etc that people make, most of which people have no clue about and cant find easily...........Currently, unless you want to literally go through thousands of mods, you cant.....What would be good would be some kind of rating system, top ten in each category etc......