Building own server or using online one like fox3

Hi All I am looking to get my own server for DCS. Mainly warbirds.

I don’t have a huge budget but I am looking for something I can build my self and what is needed to do this I know a graphics card is not important but RAM and bandwidth us. Or would it be cheaper to go for something like a fox three sever?

I am looking for a max between 40 to 80 people (40 would do)

I looking forward to you ideas

HornetUK

40 Players need a lot of bandwidth too, not only proper hardware. Are you aware of that ?

Do the math, if it pays to run your own rig. Electricity ain't for free so is the rented server.

You always pay for a rented server, if you use it or not, it's a monthly thing, reoccurring.

With your own rig, you can fire it up when you need it and turn it off when you don't and save some money.

Contrary, if you want to let it run 24/7 it can quickly become very expensive to run a server 24/7,

I run a few and I tell you it ain't cheap, it's big bucks at the end of the year.

There is no need to get the fastest multi-core CPU with lots of RAM for a DCS server.

I would either pick an Intel with iGPU ( low core count ) and DDR4 or if money allows

get a new Ryzen 7000 with iGPU but it comes at a much higher price.

Avoid anything that doesn't read INTEL or BROADCOM on the network card,

in server land you dont want to read REALTEK ( fighting one now as I type ),

just a tip from me.

The big obstacle will be a proper connection with no fluctuations, jitter, ping losses etc..

and a router that can handle that many connections without dropping packets.

Maybe a standard home user router is not the right device then, it depends on it's switching speed aka CPU power.

Most home user routers are not really FAST and 40-80 conns is not nothing.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Many thanks for that, I gave a gigabit connection but I was wondering about if it is cheaper over all in a year to get a rented server. U never need to renew your kit and it is a monthly cost rather than up front. Maybe Fox3 is the way to go then, £60 a month and up to 80 player but I don’t think I ever hit that lol!

Do the math, if you really run it for a longer time, self-hosting pays.

The Gigabit line has an UPLOAD and a DOWNLOAD. The server needs as much upload as it needs download. Depending on the UL speed it may work with 20, 30, or 60 players. Download is plenty. 

My current cable Gigabit has 50Mbit Upload only, my coming FTTH Gigabit line has 400Mbit Upload...that's another level of pushing data out.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X