What T.O. for our first F-4E?

Gianky

Yes, and no guesses please. If you know for sure, then speak up.

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

Question/Answer 2 should give you roughly what you're looking for.

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

• 2 weeks later...

By the looks of it and in FAQ, if I dismantle the answer: T.O. 1F-4E-1 (1975) for the earlier one, T.O. 1F-4E-1 (1986) + 1991 revisions and edits for the later one. 

Details for those who want it:

For the F-4E '74, a post-order 556 aircraft, i.e. with a HOTAS system pinky switch and the A2G toggle thumb button, seems like it'll be the norm. From the mesh- AN/APR-25/36 + AN/APR-26/37 RHAW, and from the cockpit, the earlier bombing computer. This means that it won't have CCIP but will have a very good toss bombing/CCRP capability plus, of course, the nuclear toss-bombing capability standard on pretty much every US jet since the F-84G. Otherwise, you'll have to manually sight your bombs in by using the good ol' depressible mil sight.

Expect early Mavericks- in stark contrast to the D-model, they simply aren't that good, since they have a tendency to go on the "Maverick Dance" and not actually lock, instead locking onto spurious bits of contrast or spazzing about like an electrified frog, but if you can lock them- expect results. 10 nautical mile seeker range and launch from about the same distance depending on conditions, but no ability to see through clouds, fog, adverse weather and smoke, unlike the D-model with the thermal channel.

I'm unsure whether it'll have limited look-down capability from CAA (effective for about 3 nautical miles if you were to fly straight down, or for a little longer out to 5-7nm if at about a 10 degree depression) but it is confirmed that it will at least have TISEO. by 1974, AN/ALE-40 chaff dispensers (60 chaff, 30 flares) were standardized on most F-4s though I'm uncertain as to whether HEATBLUR will model in the flares since flares didn't come out until '78. 

1978 marked an important upgrade for the F-4E since that's the year that it recieved both flares and an improved AN/ALR-69 RWR which acts pretty much like any other RWR- classifies by type and direction. The earlier set only gives you direction and leaves the rest to you to figure out what kind of radar's actually locking on, because it gives you the literal @*#$ing audio trace of the radar's EM emission.

The '89-'91 "LATE" Phantom can only refer to the F-4E ARN-101, which was a comprehensive overhaul of its electronics suite that was started in about '79. That added a few dissipators and stuff onto the wings and tails of F-4Es (they look like little bumps) as well as removing older CCRP systems and adding a new bombing computer capable of CCIP and CCRP operation (DMAS). This F-4E would also carry the AIM-9L and AIM-7M, as well as Thermal Mavericks, Rockeyes, and all the other bells and whistles. Maybe AIM-9X, if they feel really generous, though I have yet to read a source saying that they carried them. Would be sweet (and funny) if it did.

Edited by Aussie_Mantis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for your answers, guys, especially you, @Aussie_Mantis! Lots of good info in your reply.

11 hours ago, Aussie_Mantis said:

By the looks of it and in FAQ, if I dismantle the answer: T.O. 1F-4E-1 (1975) for the earlier one, T.O. 1F-4E-1 (1986) + 1991 revisions and edits for the later one. 

Thanks, unfortunately I have the 1979 version, and the other ones I have are for earlier E batches (1F-4C-1 of 1970 and 1972). Guess I'll have to wait for Heatblur manual!

11 hours ago, Gianky said:

Thank you for your answers, guys, especially you, @Aussie_Mantis! Lots of good info in your reply.

Thanks, unfortunately I have the 1979 version, and the other ones I have are for earlier E batches (1F-4C-1 of 1970 and 1972). Guess I'll have to wait for Heatblur manual!

1979 and earlier should be OK. Just note that earlier 1F-4C-1 manuals and earlier 1F-4E-1 manuals have two or three different specs. One for F-4s with blown flaps and no slats, one for F-4s with blown flaps and no slats and no gun nose, and one for F-4s with no blown flaps but slats.

F-4E cockpit and layout is different to F-4C/D. The larger nose also changes the aerodynamics slightly (more streamlined) and changes the sensors inside (smaller radar set that scans a wider area at once instead of a smaller more precise area as well as a smaller dish).

Edited by Aussie_Mantis