Removing joystick springs?

empec

So I have been playing for a bit with the Shark and don't really use the trim function because I removed the springs from my Gladiator NXT evo. Not sure if this was a great idea after all and consider putting them back in.

From experienced players here what is the best way of setting my joystick for helicopters? Remove springs so the stick stays in its position or should I put the springs back and why?

Edited by empec

• 2 weeks later...

I have experimented with this... it has been a few years... from what I remember is that it would create conflicts with the flight director auto pilot. I would turn some of that off when flying without springs. I also added small hydraulic dampers to keep the stick in position if I took my hand off for some reason. I also removed the springs from my rudder pedals... 

I am just getting back into DCS after a 4 year hiatus and will most likely be flying the F-16 for a while so I can't give any recent feedback. 

Ultimately I no longer have the modded joystick and when I do want to fly the shark I just use my old ST-290 or X-52 and use the trimmer... on my X-52 I set it to the pinky button so it is easy to press before making movements. 

You should be able to find the information about the flight director in the blackshark manual IIRC. 

PS If you search my profile I have old posts about this topic and some youtube videos as well. 

I don't recommend removing the springs from the joystick, unless you have some manner of maintaining it in position as walker450 did. I usually use the Default setting (or Instant Trim - FFB Friendly as it is called on the Apache). However, I'm getting used to the Central Position Trimmer mode, since it is more smooth on the controls when trimmimng the helo. 

Regarding the pedals, it is the opposite. I strongly recommend removing the springs, since it will help a lot when flying helicopters and warbirds. For modern jets, most of the time you just have to maintain them in the center position, only using them mostly for ground steering.

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

• 2 months later...

The newer NXT EVO has dampers built in. I just removed my springs and tightened the dampers recently. It now stays perfectly in place when taking my hand off. For the Apache it's working well (much better than with springs); can't say for the Shark as haven't flew it for a while.

If you have the original NXT, I believe VKB have an upgrade kit to turn it into an EVO. I would say it's the next best thing to having a FFB stick.

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM