Top Gun MIP Screen brightness F18

John1606687966

Hey all

Just got my top gun pack and having a issue with the screen brightness on the DDI's, specifically with the F18. It's VERY dark - to the point where it's close to being unusable for me. On my actual monitor they are way brighter than what's displayed on the WinWing DDI's. Tried the F16 and Apache and they were not showing this issue, they were both more than bright enough. Does anyone else have this problem as well?

Let me know if i can provide any further info. Thanks in advance 🙂

That's my only real dislike with the MIP setup (and in fairness, I don't think it's WinWing's fault).  From my online search it appears that this is a DCS thing with exported screens.  Also annoying is that with the export to these screens you can't switch the DDI's to NIGHT mode, so it's crazy bright on monitor at night.  I didn't realize that it works OK with the F-16/Apache, that's interesting.  The DDI screens (IMHO) are bright enough IF you crank it to max on in cockpit so they are overbright on the monitor, but that's not a great tradeoff.  It's not the screens being used for the MIP as if you put something bright in that part of your screen (i.e. a kneeboard page) it shows up well.

• 1 year later...

After setting up the MIP, it seems that what is happening is the MFDs and AMPCD don't use HDR10, according to a YouTube video this man made:

He explains what he did to correct this issue, but it seems a little complicated, and Im not sure if there's another simple function already enabled somewhere that I'm missing. Before I try what he did, I'm going to keep looking.

Update to this:

I repeated these steps precisely, and it worked nicely, although I think the anti aliasing is hammering these displays rather than removing the blocky edges from where I want it, as the corners of the characters on the screens seem rounded off. Hard to tell, but that's what it looks like.

But I learned something else. With these panels installed and running, using the alt+F1 HUD only view in the F18 also brightens the screens up nicely. It makes them nearly too bright with the effects enabled. I miss the lovk/shoot lights on the cockpit frame with this view, but if that's what happens, maybe the explanation is more technical. Perhaps splitting the display channel creates an issue with output brightness. I don't know, but it seems related. As soon as I am in the HUD only view, the screens are bright, as they should be. I can uncheck all 4 of the effects boxes in reshade that made these displays brighter. Maybe someone else can test this and explain a little better. Just something I noticed.