Communications menu issues

Hello

I have an issue where the communications menu stops working during all the missions so far. It works in the beginning on the carrier to remove the wheel chocks, salute etc.  But at some point the \ key or no longer brings up the communications menu. Nothing happens.

I've made it so far to mission 4 by just heading back to the carrier on my own.  But I can't get through the mission because I cannot report how many ships are in the harbor.

Any advice or known ways to fix this?

\ only brings up the ground comm's menu (works while you're on the ground, not once you're airborne).  In the air you need to use RIGHT ALT \ for COMM 1 (that's the default binding or you can change these to whatever bindings you want).

The bindings you are after for airborne are: "COMM Switch - COMM 1 (call radio menu)" and "COMM Switch - COMM 2 (call radio menu)"

I think at some point I may have seen an explanation for why the "Communications menu" binding exists, but it's very confusing for new users so it would be nice to remove.

Edited by rob10

14 minutes ago, twiddle said:

Hello

I have an issue where the communications menu stops working during all the missions so far. It works in the beginning on the carrier to remove the wheel chocks, salute etc.  But at some point the \ key or no longer brings up the communications menu. Nothing happens.

I've made it so far to mission 4 by just heading back to the carrier on my own.  But I can't get through the mission because I cannot report how many ships are in the harbor.

Any advice or known ways to fix this?

Hi, as rob10 has said "\" is for ground comms only. You need Right Alt + \ when using  Comm 1 known as 'Pri' in the campaign ( the left hand radio) and most importantly Right Control + \ when using Comm 2 known as 'Aux' in the campaign. (Right hand radio). If you do not use the correct keys you will not get a response.

Hope this helps and thanks rob10.

Badger633

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

I never noticed that.  Fore some reason it has always worked returning to the carrier on previous missions and campaigns.  Not sure why that has been.  

But thanks! And thanks for the easy refuel option, otherwise I'd never have the time to get through these.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Badger633 said:

Hi, as rob10 has said "\" is for ground comms only. You need Right Alt + \ when using  Comm 1 known as 'Pri' in the campaign ( the left hand radio) and most importantly Right Control + \ when using Comm 2 known as 'Aux' in the campaign. (Right hand radio). If you do not use the correct keys you will not get a response.

Hope this helps and thanks rob10.

Badger633

Had the same issue with a newbie in MP last night so the issue was fresh in my mind 🙂

• Thanks 1

Easy comms should be unselected as set out in the Campaign briefs.

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late add. I have not been able to get Texaco or any tanker to respond when I refuel. I have easy comms off, I have selected the correct frequency on the correct Comm channel, I am playing simplified refueling and can refuel. Also find I can’t communicate with AWACS. I can communicate with the carrier but the other two is no bueno. What am I doing wrong?

9 hours ago, Hispanicgamer said:

Sorry for the late add. I have not been able to get Texaco or any tanker to respond when I refuel. I have easy comms off, I have selected the correct frequency on the correct Comm channel, I am playing simplified refueling and can refuel. Also find I can’t communicate with AWACS. I can communicate with the carrier but the other two is no bueno. What am I doing wrong?

Hi

You cannot communicate with the AWACS in this campaign, there should be no need, all information you need is scripted and given to you by Strike. 
Regarding the radios are you using the correct press to talk keys for your communications? There is one for COMM1 and another for COMM2.

Hope this helps, let me know.

So it looks like I did not have the comms set properly on my HOTAS. Haven’t had a chance to check it out yet since playing part two of mission 9(iirc). I’m still trying to figure out how to do a pop up bombing with the JDAMs. I see a lift option but when I tried to use it the bombs were not accessible for release. Do I adjust to one of the angles and pull up at that angle to release or is this a feature that is not needed? TIA for your answer!

Edited by Hispanicgamer

11 hours ago, Hispanicgamer said:

So it looks like I did not have the comms set properly on my HOTAS. Haven’t had a chance to check it out yet since playing part two of mission 9(iirc). I’m still trying to figure out how to do a pop up bombing with the JDAMs. I see a lift option but when I tried to use it the bombs were not accessible for release. Do I adjust to one of the angles and pull up at that angle to release or is this a feature that is not needed? TIA for your answer!

Hi

You do not have to do anything out of the ordinary. Set your JDAMs as normal ensuring the preplanned data for each bomb has been set up at the beginning of the mission as you descend.  As you approach low level behind the mountain you pop up over the mountain, just clearing it, so are visible with the targets. Key thing here is do not release too early as you need to get clear of the mountain below you. Should then be a normal release but you are then exposed so are going to have to dive to the right and use the low level hills for cover during your escape, at least until your bombs hit home.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1