Unable to sent Callsign Number higher than unit count.

Elphaba

Because we still don't have 'addCommandForUnit' and 'addSubGroupForUnit' etc for the F10 Radio Menu, it's forcing those of us making full use of the only interactive component in DCS to have to make each aircraft it's own 'Group'. 

HOWEVER, in a MP mission we still want to have players in a 'notional group' e.g. PONTIAC 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-8.

So yes, it's great that we can now have a group of more than four aircraft, and also a group containing different airframes. 

BUT, because the mission editor enforces a 'stupid' rule that  means each atomic group MUST start at 1. That means we cant use the above flight numbering system and instead it's forcing us to have PONTIAC 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 6-1, 7-1, 8-1.

I understand that because of sound files you need to restrict what numbers you can allow, but really, why can't you remove this, and just have the Flight Name e.g. PONTIAC and a number up to 3 digits e.g. 114 like you almost do for non-western aircraft, or for western aircraft, respect the intelligence of your customers and allow us to set the flight numbers ourselves? By all means, be helpful and check we're not duplicating and already given flight number, but please respect us enough to be able to pick our own, and set the last number to a number higher than 1 when you're forcing us to make each aircraft it's own group - just to use additional commands on the F10 Radio Menu.

Then you don't have to have a rule you must enforce, that is breaking your only allowed method of making groups that must have a group level Radio Menu or have flight numbers that are the wrong way around. 

I have no reason to hope, but considering the 'ATC' updates mentioned, I hope this kind of thing as been considered and fixed. Esp the Radio Menus PER UNIT.

Thanks.

Edited by Elphaba

6 hours ago, Elphaba said:

BUT, because the mission editor enforces a 'stupid' rule that  means each atomic group MUST start at 1. That means we cant use the above flight numbering system and instead it's forcing us to have PONTIAC 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 6-1, 7-1, 8-1.

I understand that because of sound files you need to restrict what numbers you can allow, but really, why can't you remove this, and just have the Flight Name e.g. PONTIAC and a number up to 3 digits e.g. 114 like you almost do for non-western aircraft, or for western aircraft, respect the intelligence of your customers and allow us to set the flight numbers ourselves?

There was a point in time where we could edit that digit IIRC, but the change was reverted. However I think you can modify me_aircraft_group.dlg and find the "readOnly" entry for e_callsignUnitNum, which should be at line 1085. Change that value from false to true. The change should be reflected in the mission file. Though whenever the game updates it will restore the file to default state. 

To go more in depth with western callsigns it is saved as a table of 3 digits and a string. The value at index 1 acts as an enumerator for the callsigns. I do think it is a little suboptimal that the value depends on the actual aircraft type rather than each callsign being a unique value, but it is the system ED has opted to use. For example 1 is for Enfield, Overlord, or Texaco. The actual callsign name depends on the type of unit with tankers, awacs, and JTAC having their own sets of callsigns starting at 1. Then you have the common list with Enfield, but aircraft like B-1, B-52, cargo planes, A-10, F-16, and F-18 have additional callsigns that get appended to the end of the list. 

["callsign"] = 
{
  [1] = 1,
  [2] = 1,
  [3] = 1,
  ["name"] = "Enfield11",
}, -- end of ["callsign"]

Wiki is down but I have a list of the enumerator values there. 

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

7 hours ago, Grimes said:

There was a point in time where we could edit that digit IIRC, but the change was reverted. However I think you can modify me_aircraft_group.dlg and find the "readOnly" entry for e_callsignUnitNum, which should be at line 1085. Change that value from false to true. The change should be reflected in the mission file. Though whenever the game updates it will restore the file to default state. 

This didn't work. As soon as I leave that aircraft in the Mission Editor and select another unit and go back, it's reverted to '1' again. 

Gonna have to also have to modify me_aircraft.lua then. Looks to be the function starting at line 512 and anywhere its forcing the value to be: e_callsignUnitNum:setText(unitId)

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum