B-17G Specular/Roughmet MOD Metallic Reflectivity from Brushed to Mirror Effect.

Warlord64

Hi Guys 

Anyone who has  flown the B-17G will notice that the aircraft is more of a Glossy Grey than Metallic so I made this Mod to address this issue.   

All You have to do to achieve Metallic Reflectivity from Brushed to Mirror Effect that is compatible in Specular and Roughmets* 

INSTALLATION

Can be used  with  OvGME  and should also work with JSGME(Not Tested)  with this  Zip file  B-17 Metallic Mod_By Warlord64 (mediafire.com)   (Re-Enable after Updates)

Or Alternatively

Just go to C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\tech\WWII Units\Shapes  make a Copy of the original b-17glods.json  file and then replace it  with the new one Below. That's it Done.( With this option When DCS Updates You Will need to Overwrite the updated b-17glods.json  with  this  Modded one.)

PRE-MADE CUSTOM SKINS

This will  Automatically  be applied to and  Enhance  the Default B-17 Skin as well as  ALL  Pre-made  Custom Skins and  any  New skins with NO Texture Editing required  at all .

Open MODELVIEWER and You will see the difference straight away.

SKIN MAKING TIPS

TIP.. For the Diffuse.dds  Skin base colour I use is a light Grey (d3d7db)  but variations of Grey will  also give contrasting results.

For BARE METAL UN-PAINTED SURFACES  using the Layered  SPECULAR Template

The base colour of the Spec.dds skin  for example  needs to be almost White for the Mirror Effect ( fffbff )   and  a Medium Mauve ( c03ed0) for Medium Shine and Dull Mauve( 9c66a3) for  Brushed Effect BUT variations of Mauve  will give contrasting results so just experiment with  it.

Decals:  I Recommend   Light Brown (886d29) which has just enough sheen to prevent  Haloing  around larger  Decals and National Markings, however  for very small lettering/Bomb Kill Markings  etc   DO NOT create a Layer for these in the  Specular Template   as this WILL cause Haloing on the finished Skin.

For PAINTED SURFACES using the  Layered  SPECULAR Template

To achieve a  Flat Matt Painted Surface I Recommend a Dark Green (23cb23)  

and for a Satin  Surface  I recommend  Light Brown (886d29)

* Roughmets

If You have made  Skins With Roughmets instead of Specular  Ensure  that ALL  Roughmet.dds  Skins for  the Fuselage & Wings etc have been  included in Your Custom Skin folder.

PLEASE NOTE The Default B-17G  Skin and any  Custom Skins  appearance will also be  dictated by these factors  so  if a Painted Surface appears Shiny, Glossy or Fragmented then   that is down to the Colour choices  and   description.lua  Scripting of the Skin Maker and  NOT  this  Mod.

Also on the Propeller  Rotor's  for the  Mirror Effect  Skin You will need to copy the Rotor and Blurred  Rotor skins  Below  into skin folder and add  these  lines to description.lua

{"B17G_ROTOR", 0 ,"b_17g_rotor_d", false};
    {"B17G_ROTOR", 1 ,"b_17g_rotor_n", true};
    {"B17G_ROTOR", 2 ,"b_17g_rotor_s", false};
    {"B17G_RotorBlured", 0 ,"b_17g_rotorblured_d", false};
    {"B17G_RotorBlured", 2 ,"b_17g_rotorblured_s", false};

Cheers

Keith

nullB-17 Brushed Metal.jpg

B_17G_RotorBlured_S.dds B_17G_ROTOR_S.dds B_17G_RotorBlured_D.dds

B_17G_ROTOR_D.dds

b-17g.lods.json

B-17  Bright Mirror Metal.jpg

Edited by Warlord64
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

• Warlord64 changed the title to B-17G Specular/Roughmet MOD Metallic Reflectivity from Brushed to Mirror Effect.
  • NineLine pinned this topic

Thanks, saw only the json file in your download, but as i am now used to do JSGME installs in to my DCS.openbeta\mods\ ..etc.

me thinks i should install the rest too in an adapted version, just to be able to de-install the whole lot more easily?

Maybe somewhere here?: Savedgames\DCS.openbeta\Mods\tech\WWII Units\Liveries\B-17G

Hi Mate

Happy to Oblige

The reason the json file is the only zip file   because it is applied to the the root B-17 Shapes  folder  and will effect all aspects of the Module 

whereas  the  Rotor  changes  will  apply  exclusively  to  Custom  made  skins  that require the  Mirror Effect  and will be part of that skins folder.

Edited by Warlord64
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, tried to set up a livery (skin) but probably did something wrong regarding changing luas and incorporating your dds edited files all in a JSGME file.

Probably to do with that weird location in WWII units for the B-17. Had no problems with skins made with Urbi's c47 template and ported into the 'normal' liveries folder with JSGME.

Alas i give up now, have to go offline for a while, and experiment on later. I hate that complex livery placement business in DCS. They should redesign this stuff LoL.

56 minutes ago, jackd said:

Thanks, tried to set up a livery (skin) but probably did something wrong regarding changing luas and incorporating your dds edited files all in a JSGME file.

Probably to do with that weird location in WWII units for the B-17. Had no problems with skins made with Urbi's c47 template and ported into the 'normal' liveries folder with JSGME.

Alas i give up now, have to go offline for a while, and experiment on later. I hate that complex livery placement business in DCS. They should redesign this stuff LoL.

Hi Mate 

Just Copy/Paste  Custom B-17 Skins directly into B17-G Liveries folder, they should remain after any Update.

I used  OVGME for Mods mostly rather than Liveries

Edited by Warlord64