Is there a better way for me to be exporting my displays?

StandingCow

Greetings folks, I was hoping someone would be able to help with some questions I have. 

My set up is my main monitor (set as primary in windows) and a left monitor are in my office, these are no longer used for DCS.  My TV and MFDs are part of my cockpit setup in another room.  Currently everything is working but the way I have it set up... my 2 office monitors have a black screen (since I am stretching DCS's display out).  Is there a way to set this up without having to do that?  Or without having to set my TV in the other room as a primary display?  I've attached a graphic showing my displays as well.

image.png

Here is my currently monitor.lua file:

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('Cockpit');
Description = 'Sub Displays'
Viewports =
{
     Center =
     {
          x = 5360;
          y = 0;
          width = 2560;
          height = 1440;
          viewDx = 0;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 2560/1440;
     }
}

LEFT_MFCD =
{
     x = 5360;
     y = 1440;
     width = 525;
     height = 525;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
     x = 7395;
     y = 1440;
     width = 525;
     height = 525;
}
F14_JESTER_MENU =
{
    x = 5360;
    y = 0;
    width = 2560;
    height = 1440;
}

GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT = Viewports.Center

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

I am also having issues with my current config getting George AI to show up in the Apache.  I've been following that thread 

--viewports stuff	
	local v = find_viewport("GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT", "CENTER")
	if v ~= nil then
		if v.width ~= total_w or v.height ~= total_h then
			ULX = v.x
			ULY = v.y
			SZX = v.width
			SZY = v.height
			local aspect = SZX/SZY
			local offsetX = (ULX + SZX / 2 - total_w / 2) / total_w * total_aspect * 2
			local offsetY = -(ULY + SZY / 2 - total_h / 2) / total_h * 2
			local padding = math.min(total_aspect, aspect) * 0.2
			compass_pos = { -math.min(total_aspect, aspect) + offsetX + padding, -1 + offsetY * 2 + padding}
			weap_control_pos = { math.min(total_aspect, aspect) + offsetX - padding, -1 + offsetY * 2 + padding }
			compass_size = compass_size * v.height / total_h
			weap_control_size = weap_control_size * v.height / total_h
		end
	end
	--end viewports stuff

Edited by StandingCow

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

16 hours ago, StandingCow said:

Greetings folks, I was hoping someone would be able to help with some questions I have. 

My set up is my main monitor (set as primary in windows) and a left monitor are in my office, these are no longer used for DCS.  My TV and MFDs are part of my cockpit setup in another room.  Currently everything is working but the way I have it set up... my 2 office monitors have a black screen (since I am stretching DCS's display out).  Is there a way to set this up without having to do that?  Or without having to set my TV in the other room as a primary display?  I've attached a graphic showing my displays as well.

image.png

Here is my currently monitor.lua file:

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('Cockpit');
Description = 'Sub Displays'
Viewports =
{
     Center =
     {
          x = 5360;
          y = 0;
          width = 2560;
          height = 1440;
          viewDx = 0;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 2560/1440;
     }
}

LEFT_MFCD =
{
     x = 5360;
     y = 1440;
     width = 525;
     height = 525;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
     x = 7395;
     y = 1440;
     width = 525;
     height = 525;
}
F14_JESTER_MENU =
{
    x = 5360;
    y = 0;
    width = 2560;
    height = 1440;
}

GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT = Viewports.Center

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

I am also having issues with my current config getting George AI to show up in the Apache.  I've been following that thread 

--viewports stuff	
	local v = find_viewport("GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT", "CENTER")
	if v ~= nil then
		if v.width ~= total_w or v.height ~= total_h then
			ULX = v.x
			ULY = v.y
			SZX = v.width
			SZY = v.height
			local aspect = SZX/SZY
			local offsetX = (ULX + SZX / 2 - total_w / 2) / total_w * total_aspect * 2
			local offsetY = -(ULY + SZY / 2 - total_h / 2) / total_h * 2
			local padding = math.min(total_aspect, aspect) * 0.2
			compass_pos = { -math.min(total_aspect, aspect) + offsetX + padding, -1 + offsetY * 2 + padding}
			weap_control_pos = { math.min(total_aspect, aspect) + offsetX - padding, -1 + offsetY * 2 + padding }
			compass_size = compass_size * v.height / total_h
			weap_control_size = weap_control_size * v.height / total_h
		end
	end
	--end viewports stuff

Ever given Helios a shot? It wont solve the George ai deal ( all multi monitor users probably suffer from it and the kneeboard being huge and half off the screen) because of the added height from the mfd’s, but it may be a bit easier to handle the monitors. Plus you can add the controls on screen to your mfd’s too if you want. Join Captnzeen discord for any help and support, there’s no great manuals for it, but its easy to setup once you know how( myself or the current helios developer will gladly help you through setup) There is an Apache profile too by the helios dev,  so your mfd viewports and  controls etc will be drag and drop to wherever you like them. Just a thought. DCS likes to funky things when you have a monitor arrangement it doesn’t agree with 😂

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

2 hours ago, MadKreator said:

Ever given Helios a shot? It wont solve the George ai deal ( all multi monitor users probably suffer from it and the kneeboard being huge and half off the screen) because of the added height from the mfd’s, but it may be a bit easier to handle the monitors. Plus you can add the controls on screen to your mfd’s too if you want. Join Captnzeen discord for any help and support, there’s no great manuals for it, but its easy to setup once you know how( myself or the current helios developer will gladly help you through setup) There is an Apache profile too by the helios dev,  so your mfd viewports and  controls etc will be drag and drop to wherever you like them. Just a thought. DCS likes to funky things when you have a monitor arrangement it doesn’t agree with 😂

Does helios break pure script servers though?  I fly primarily MP so don't wanna do that if it's avoidable.  Hopefully ED eventually allows access as requested here:

Edited by StandingCow

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

25 minutes ago, StandingCow said:

Does helios break pure script servers though?  I fly primarily MP so don't wanna do that if it's avoidable.

Yes it will break the Pure scripts required, like on hoggit. It basically edits the monitor setup and viewport export for you, but does it the same way as manually editing the files.  MP seems to still have the bug where even if you pass IC but then back out of a server, then your IC fails. Same hopping from SP then into multiplayer too(seemed to happen when pure scripts was implemented, might be liked somehow)….besides the point… Helios will pass a server with Pure clients, but not pure scripts unfortunately. Hoggit was always my go-to relaxing MP and since I started using helios and the pure scripts was added I can no longer play on hoggit.. but I find myself on grayflag or flashpoint the most these days. TTI or 4ya if I want to chill and relax on MP. Your monitor.lua looks right to me. It seems DCS doesn’t seem to play nice with all monitor setups. I’ve seen other posts similar to yours. It would be nice if ED someday would really up the support for exports, mullti-monitor, widescreens etc. fumbling through code to get a built in function to work hardly seems like anything the consumer should have to do l  

Edited by MadKreator

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

7 minutes ago, MadKreator said:

Yes it will break the Pure scripts required, like on hoggit. It basically edits the monitor setup and viewport export for you, but does it the same way as manually editing the files.  MP seems to still have the bug where even if you pass IC but then back out of a server, then your IC fails. Same hopping from SP then into multiplayer too(seemed to happen when pure scripts was implemented, might be liked somehow)….besides the point… Helios will pass a server with Pure clients, but not pure scripts unfortunately. Hoggit was always my go-to relaxing MP and since I started using helios and the pure scripts was added I can no longer play on hoggit.. but I find myself on grayflag or flashpoint the most these days. TTI or 4ya if I want to chill and relax on MP. Your monitor.lua looks right to me. It seems DCS doesn’t seem to play nice with all monitor setups. I’ve seen other posts similar to yours. It would be nice if ED someday would really up the support for exports, mullti-monitor, widescreens etc. fumbling through code to get a built in function to work hardly seems like anything the consumer should have to do l  

Agreed.  Thanks for your help.  Hopefully one day I can switch to Helios as it does seem to be the better way to do what I am doing. 

I guess I'll have to deal with the black screens.... but the George AI display not working is a real issue.

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

10 minutes ago, StandingCow said:

Agreed.  Thanks for your help.  Hopefully one day I can switch to Helios as it does seem to be the better way to do what I am doing. 

I guess I'll have to deal with the black screens.... but the George AI display not working is a real issue.

Honestly for just mfd viewports, helios may be overkill. It can do that, sure, but is really designed more for exporting lots of viewports and touchscreen controls, gauges  etc. Like the picture.. The George thing I would put in the same category as the kneeboard. Just lack of support, or care about Multi-displays. With the added 600 pixel height, dcs isn’t smart enough to know that that extra space below the main screen shouldn’t have anything rendered on it except mfd’s The game displays fine, where its suppose to but overlays seem to not speak the same language. Kneeboard not so bad since you can click and drag it but I can see George being quite frustrating, not being able to use it correctly. I have a whole set of other quirks and dumb issues using  an ultrawide monitor, that shouldn’t be there 😂

628A9EDE-E826-4F18-A2E1-E30AFAC6FDCD.jpeg

Edited by MadKreator
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 11:12 AM, yeldraw1 said:

does your RWR break integrity check?  cause I do RWR and DED in the A-10 and F16.  it will let me fly once, then the check fails....

I believe this is a known multiplayer bug that started around 2.8 release or shortly after.. after the pure scripts deal was released as an option on servers. In previous posts ED has said they are aware, and restarting the game is the only work around. The Multiplayer IC system needs a severe re-vamp.

Edited by MadKreator

• 3 weeks later...

ED decided for whatever reason to not have viewport exports in RWR, IFEI (and probably more) lua scripts anymore. I can only export left/right DDI and MPCD (F/A-18C) now, without breaking the integrity check. For RWR and IFEI I have to add lines to the mods files, which will break the check. That is very annoying and does not make any sense to me. How is that cheating? Why is the IFEI a problem, but the DDI/MPCD not?

With respect to your black screens: the only way to change this (as far as I know) would be to change the order of the screens in Windows.

Instead of 1-2-3 you would have to order them 3-2-1 and then start your viewports on x=0 and limit the total width to 2560.
Then select this size in DCS for the monitor size: 2560x2040 (1440+600 for the small screens). Now display 1 and 2 are not part of DCS anymore.

Screen 1 and 2 should not be black anymore and available for Windows. Disadvantage is, that your screens might be physically on the wrong side, meaning you have to move your mouse to the right, to get to the screen, that in real life is left. Advantage though would be that DCS is not rendering useless screens. I'm not sure, if this has any performance impact, since it is just black, but the total rendering size will be smaller. I guess right now, you use 7920(1920+3440+2560)x2040(1440+600) as monitor size.

It might give you more fps, but I'm not sure, but your monitors 1 and 2 should not be black anymore.

Edited by abikns