Communication solution

hsth

There is a twofold problem with the communication in the MiG-15bis. At least, that is how I see it.

1. If you have a SP mission with multiple planes the communication frequency from player to flight differs from that from planes to ATC. Default the frequency in the mission editor for the flight is 3.750 MHz = 150 wave number. If you place the mission on for example Batumi the ATC frequency is 4.25 MHz - 170 wave number.
So, to communicate with your flight the RSI-6K HF RADIO has to be tuned to 150 and for communication with the tower to 170.

This is the same later on in the flight, you tune the radio to the correct wave number for the destination airport but the wave number to communicate with your flight stays 150.
Not only is this not practical, it also raises the question how the planes in your flight communicate with ATC and at the same listen to your calls.

2. There is no procedure available, at least I cannot find it in DCS, that explains how the player has to constantly tune the radio to different wave numbers. Imagine a busy flight, in difficult weather conditions. The player wants to direct the flight to different formations or other actions. How much of your time are you looking down to set the radio to the correct wave number?
And what to do in case the flight has to be diverted for emergency reasons?
After all, this is a sim where we want to be as 'real' as possible.

The solution.
1. In the mission editor you can set the frequency for the flight to that of the airbase. That way every plane listens to the same frequency. In case of a cold start the player still has to set his radio to the correct frequency.
2. There should be 1 more action for the player to call to the flight in the F10 menu.
- "Flight, radio check". This should be the signal for the AI (read the software) to set the frequency for the flight to that of the player. And then flight responds with a confirmation.

I know that ED has said that they are working on the communication but this fix should not be difficult to implement. And it might even be a more general implementation, not just for the MiG.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...