Bombing airfields with two runways?

DaveSD

I haven't found an answer to this in the forums or in the user manual. So... is it possible to bomb both runways in an airfield, like with Anderson on the Marianas map? With a group consisting of a single aircraft, the same runway is chosen regardless of which way the aircraft approaches it. I tried using two aircraft in a single group; one of them bombed one runway at Anderson, the other didn't bomb anything, and both landed at Won. Please tell me I'm crazy and that there actually is a way to do this, hopefully without LUA scripting. It seems this should be basic functionality; if not, it would be pointless to have maps that have dual-runway airfields.

Just place two groups and let each one attack a point on the map instead, and place them on either runway (or maybe one group but two attack points with a defined amount of bombs dropped) 

But to be honest, I'm not sure if the AI in DCS can even use two different runways in that sense, so depending on what you want to achieve, it might be enough (or not) 

Edited by razo+r

I tried a three versions of an experiment, none of which worked. I had an airplane fly over a runway, and between the ends of the runway I placed a series of in-line waypoints. I gave each waypoint a bombing action, each one dropping a single bomb. Mr. AI got confused and couldn't handle that - no bombs dropped, and he didn't even fly the specified path. Then I used a single waypoint and created a series of bombing actions for it, laid out along the runway - one bomb per action. Mr. AI got confused again and ignored my orders. Then I converted the actions to bomb map object, and Mr. AI couldn't hack it. A court martial is forthcoming. Then along a completely different tack, I tried carpet bombing on the first of two waypoints that should have guided the airplane along the runway. Mr. AI dropped all the bombs in rapid sequence, but along a path that wasn't even remotely in line with the runway. Mr. AI has fled the country and is now Edward Snowden's roommate.

That's no fair, Exorcet, your AI is smarter than my AI. Your example worked perfectly. I modified it for some experiments and those worked fine, too. I don't know why my original testing didn't work. I like your user name, by the way.