Varjo Aero, both MT and ST no longer functional with OpenXR

Go to solution Solved by Major Corvus,

As per the title. When using my Varjo Aero and trying to start the sim Via a shortcut from the bin-mt floder with the added --force_OpenXR in the target, the sim seems to try and start as usual with the version loading screen and the log in bars displaying briefly. However, following this DCS apears to be  running on the task bar but there is nothing displayed on either my desktop monitor, or in the HMD. moving the cursor across my desktop has it disapearing and reapearing as if the mirror is displaying as normal, however there is no display. The only way I can shut down DCS in these conditions is via the Task manager.

Unfortunately, this exact behaviour is now replicated when I try to launch using the normal ST DCS.exe. If I try to launch using the ST DCS.exe from the folder without the --force_OpenXR modifier , I get the usual quad screen display that you get if you don't use the correct modified shortcut, and when I try using the DCS.exe from the bin-mt folder, I get the same issue as if I was trying to launch it using the moddified --force_OpenXR shortcut.

I can get the DCS single thread version to start in steam VR, if I use the ST shortcut with the --force_steam_VR modifier. However If I try the same but using the bin-mt shortcut, DCS starts to load but becomes unresponsive and freezes at 16-19%.

DCS wil start in both ST and MT in 2D mode, but as it stands at the time of this post, DCS is completely unplayable in MT and is very compromised in Steam VR in ST.

System: i9 10900, RTX 4090 and 64gb ram

I hope this can be rectified soon

Edited by Major Corvus

Kit: i9 10900k, Rog Strix RTX 4090, Asus Rog strix Z490 Mobo, 64 GB, Varjo Aero HMD running Open VR

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Thrustmaster Pendular rudder peddles

MODS: Pretty much all of them

• Solution

Solved.

There was a coincidental update to the Varjo Base software that appears to have over written Mbucchia's OpenXR wrapper as found on a previous Aero OpenXR thread.

I have reinstalled the wrapper and made new shortcuts and now both ST and MT are working

Edited by Major Corvus
  • Thanks 2

Kit: i9 10900k, Rog Strix RTX 4090, Asus Rog strix Z490 Mobo, 64 GB, Varjo Aero HMD running Open VR

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Thrustmaster Pendular rudder peddles

MODS: Pretty much all of them

3 hours ago, Major Corvus said:

Solved.

There was a coincidental update to the Varjo Base software that appears to have over written Mbucchia's OpenXR wrapper as found on a previous Aero OpenXR thread.

I have reinstalled the wrapper and made new shortcuts and now both ST and MT are working

yup, you have to re-install Mbucchia's wrapper every time you update the Varjo Base client software as it wipes out the extra .json files from its base folders.

• Like 2