GB6 SFW (Sensor Fused Version)

III_Nick_III

I've been looking into the GB6 sensor fused version. I cannot find anything, either in English or obscure Chinese sources all over these forums. Does anyone have anything to suggest that the sensor fused warhead version of the GB-6 actually exists, because proof of Chinese sensor fused bomblets and the existence of the GB6 doesn't necessarily mean they were used together at any point.

The closest I've found is an old forum post from 2019, but that doesn't seem to have any plausible information beyond a few pictures of bomblets. 

So does anyone have any information on this beyond it being in DCS?

• Like 1

This doesn't appear to show anything relating to a sensor fused munition being able to be used in the weapon; only that different submunitions may be used. The fact that China has their own sensor fused warhead doesn't mean it was used in this weapon in any capacity. 

16 hours ago, III_Nick_III said:

This doesn't appear to show anything relating to a sensor fused munition being able to be used in the weapon; only that different submunitions may be used. The fact that China has their own sensor fused warhead doesn't mean it was used in this weapon in any capacity. 

Yes, all I can say is that I have personally read Chinese publications that list “guided submunitions” as one of those carried munitions. I do not know the extent of Deka’s sources/references here. 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• 10 months later...
vor 3 Minuten schrieb Mike_Romeo:

There is very similar Chinese glide bomb called CS/BBC5 and there is a pictures of it submunition but not sure if those are SFW.

Source: https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/yj-6.htm

yj-6-image08.jpg

Those Submunitions seem to be some sort of unguided Anti Tank hollow charge design. 

https://new.qq.com/rain/a/20200816A0FRFR00

I´ve also tried to find more about the Chinese SFW Bomblets and the GB-6 SFW, but could not find anything more then you. 

2 minutes ago, BigBorner said:

´ve also tried to find more about the Chinese SFW Bomblets and the GB-6 SFW, but could not find anything more then you. 

Now I found this nice article with this nice youtube video that shows some more sub munitions https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a33635662/china-glide-bomb-tianlei-500/

Screenshot_105.jpg?ex=65db3d58&is=65c8c8

Edited by Mike_Romeo
  • Thanks 1

My skins

Oh, thats interesting, thank you. 

There is also mentioned in one of your articles: 

Zitat

Carbon fiber submunitions, commonly known as graphite bullets, do not have a lethal effect on personnel, but the highly conductive carbon fiber tows released by the detonation of black powder can easily paralyze open-air power supply stations, and can also greatly increase the difficulty of enemy repair.

Which i found quite interesting. In a Podcast it was mentioned that similar design are in US Arsenals, as they used them over Baghdad (Or was it Kosovo?Or both?) to destroy power stations. Although it wasnt mentioned which weapon carried them. My theory is either TALD (there is a version that carries 36 punds of chaff - could be that) or, maaaybe, a JSOW. Anyway, thats offtopic. Just found it worth mentioning. 

Ontopic; 

Popular mechanics mentions: 

Zitat

The Post claims the weapon is also laser-guided, but no laser seeker is visible in the example missile shown in the video. The weapon’s range is dependent on release altitude, and a Tianlei 500 dropped from high altitude can glide up to 37 miles to target. 

From my point of view, that could be a tidbit of information lost in translation. Looking on how LIDAR is present in the US SFW Hockey pucks - it might be that this is meant. Just a shot in the dark here. 

Edited by BigBorner