Upgrading reverb G2-> Quest pro

7Coolhand

Got an offer to sell my G2 and I’m considering if it’s worth the money, 650$ to upgrade?

Or wait for quest 3.

Pico 4 seems to have performance issues with DCS if I understand the posts correctly.

I run the reverb in 60Hz with great performance now in DCS.

Just hard to decide, I would like a little better fov and bigger sweet spot…

I did this very thing recently and have had no regrets. Objectively, the QP looks and performs better than the G2. Edge to edge clarity, better visuals, local dimming just released. There is no disputing that by anyone who has actually tried both and isn't just throwing paper facts around.

Now, I rock a 7950x3d/4090 and you didn't list your specs, so factor that in, but generally speaking the QP is an upgrade in every way...

except the onboard audio on the QP is <profanity>, in my opinion. Volume is way too low, so I use a nice pair of headphones, but they are comfortable and don't detract from the experience.  

Edited by DirtyMike0330
typo

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

15 hours ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

I did this very thing recently and have had no regrets. Objectively, the QP looks and performs better than the G2. Edge to edge clarity, better visuals, local dimming just released. There is no disputing that by anyone who has actually tried both and isn't just throwing paper facts around.

Now, I rock a 7950x3d/4090 and you didn't list your specs, so factor that in, but generally speaking the QP is an upgrade in every way...

except the onboard audio on the QP is <profanity>, in my opinion. Volume is way too low, so I use a nice pair of headphones, but they are comfortable and don't detract from the experience.  

Do you see the distortions with ASW enabled with the water and sky?

Edited by Blue73

I have just got a Quest Pro yesterday. I’m very impressed with it so far but it is still early days. I have not noticed any distortion with ASW enabled with water and sky. Late last night I found that I am able to run MSAAx4 and the FPS is at 90 in Caucus! I was blown away by this. Previously I was running a HP Reverb G2 and that would not be able to run near 90Hz even with MSAAx2. Of course the HP Reverb G2 is pushing more pixels which no doubt is the differentiating factor.

The QP isn’t as “sharp” as the G2 due to the lower amount of pixels but it is good enough. Add that the image is clear across the whole view unlike only in the sweet spot with the G2 is a big plus.

I run with all settings maxed out in VR, 13900k and RTX 4090. I don’t run with motion blurring, SSAO… yet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blue73 said:

I don't notice any kind of distortion/compression and, like the other person that responded, I have the settings cranked up! I essentially just copied these settings when I bought the QP: 

On 4/9/2023 at 4:52 PM, 7Coolhand said:

Pico 4 seems to have performance issues with DCS if I understand the posts correctly.

??

No problem with Pico4. Smooth as butter. Clear picture all over the field og view.

Don’t know which posts you are referring to, but to me this is just plain wrong. I upgraded from Reverb G2 to the Pico 4 and I am very happy with that. 

• Like 1

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.

6 hours ago, freehand said:

mm think I fancy one of these headsets I am not worried about loosing some sharpness but bigger sweet spot sounds good to me.

There is no such thing as a sweet spot with the QT. The whole image is the sweet spot. By changing the PD/oversampling in the Oculus settings, you get your sharpness back. Amazon has these (UK/EU at least) with 30 days returns. Meta also has a 30-day return no-quibble policy on these. So if you don't like it you can return it and get your money back.

12 hours ago, Blue73 said:

This might be caused by a low encoder bit rate. This can be configured in the Oculus settings. I have noticed artefacts if I set the encoder bitrate too low.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2023 at 7:52 AM, 7Coolhand said:

Got an offer to sell my G2 and I’m considering if it’s worth the money, 650$ to upgrade?

Or wait for quest 3.

I run the reverb in 60Hz with great performance now in DCS.

Just hard to decide, I would like a little better fov and bigger sweet spot…

I'm on the same page but I will wait until Bigscreen Beyond releases later this year. The sweat spot isn't the only factor in my case. Weight is a big one as I play a lot in VR, and the strap pressure from Index and G2 is a problem. Also, micro OLED sounds promising. I will hold the trigger for a few months more.

Win10,5900X,4090, 64GB RAM,Valve Index, Reverb G2 v2,Q3?

8 hours ago, 7Coolhand said:

Ok, then I have misunderstood the performance perspective with the Pico 4.

Then it’s the brightness, colors, no local dimming, no eye tracking that speaks against the Pico 4. But the QPro is 3x expensive.

Hard choice..

Colors, local dimming - yep, that is my impression too from reviews - that those are Quest Pro advantages. Didn’t know about the brightness, but might be correct too. I don’t consider that is a problem with the Pico 4 though. 

But the the Pico 4 has better resolution, - the Quest Pro is about 30% less resolution in total. So Quest Pro should be easier on the PC, but less sharp. 

I have never tried a Quest Pro so I can’t give my own personal impression about it. Just wanted to correct the info on the Pico 4. 

I recently read some Facebook post about problems with Pico 4 lenses for some people. You might check that out too if you consider it. Mine are good though. 

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.

12 hours ago, mediocre said:

I'm on the same page but I will wait until Bigscreen Beyond releases later this year. The sweat spot isn't the only factor in my case. Weight is a big one as I play a lot in VR, and the strap pressure from Index and G2 is a problem. Also, micro OLED sounds promising. I will hold the trigger for a few months more.

I honestly don't know why people are getting excited about the Bigscreen Beyond, from a flight sim perspective. From what I saw in a video about it, that FOV is not going to be great 😕 

6 hours ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

I honestly don't know why people are getting excited about the Bigscreen Beyond, from a flight sim perspective. From what I saw in a video about it, that FOV is not going to be great 😕 

I think the Bigscreen Beyond looks not ideal for sims but a pretty good option.  FOV appears to be about 90 both horizontal and vertical which is about the same as the Quest 2 and G2 which are certainly used by many simmers. Biggest issue would be can DCS drive that resolution without eye tracking and DFR, and also peak brightness seems low. 

Edit: for comparison, nextgenVR measured the Varjo Aero and Quest 2 and got 90/70 and 88/98 hfov/vfov. Certainly some people are happy with the Aero and the Bigscreen Beyond seems to offer much better VFOV, similar HFOV, and similar resolution/ppd. 

Edited by ackattacker
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7800x3d, 64gb, MSI RTX4090 Suprim , Sidewinder FFB with F16 grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG crosswind pedals. Pimax Crystal

On 4/10/2023 at 7:29 PM, DirtyMike0330 said:

I don't notice any kind of distortion/compression and, like the other person that responded, I have the settings cranked up! I essentially just copied these settings when I bought the QP: 

I'll try this thanks. My enc bitrate is at 960 already but haven't tried upping the refresh rate, I thought it might make it worse as ASW is kicking in sooner.

I tried 90Hz, it has the same issue. I took the best picture I could with my phone. That blue line is the border of the distortion, lower section is the issue, it flicks randomly all across the ocean and sometimes the upper sky section. If the Carrier is caught up in it, it too flicks between multiple positions. With ASW off it's all good so I don't think it's a BW issue or the distortion created from the ASW warping requires more than 960Mbps of bandwidth to render. FS2020 has the same issue in the sky, but not as bad as DCS.

IMG_5249.jpgQP Settings.PNG

Edited by Blue73

1 minute ago, Blue73 said:

I tried 90Hz, it has the same issue. I took the best picture I could with my phone. That blue line is the border of the distortion (lower section is the issue, it flicks randomly all across the ocean and sometimes the upper sky section. If the Carrier is caught up in it, it too flicks between multiple positions. With ASW off it's all good so I don't think it's a BW issue or the distortion created from the ASW warping requires more than 960Kbps of bandwidth the render. FS2020 has the same issue in the sky, but not as bad as DCS.

IMG_5249.jpg

Have you got a short track file that I can try with my Quest Pro / config? If so, can you state at what time during the flight this occurs?

Hi Slughead, I fly Mission -> F/A-18 -> Supercarrier -> Launch ( Caucus ). Fly away from the carrier, get above 2000 ft, look down at the ocean on your left hand side, look back at the carrier when above 3000 ft. For me it's jumping all over the place. If yours is good and your FPS is below 72/80/90 then there's hope. Thanks!

Track File: ana.trk

Edited by Blue73

2 hours ago, Blue73 said:

Hi Slughead, I fly Mission -> F/A-18 -> Supercarrier -> Launch ( Caucus ). Fly away from the carrier, get above 2000 ft, look down at the ocean on your left hand side, look back at the carrier when above 3000 ft. For me it's jumping all over the place. If yours is good and your FPS is below 72/80/90 then there's hope. Thanks!

Track File: ana.trk

I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary. All looks normal to me. The frame rate was 72Hz and didn't drop. What specs are you running and what settings both in the game and Oculus config?

Mine are below...

RTX4090, 13900K.

Quest Pro via USB-C link.

Screenshot 2023-04-12 154904.png

Screenshot 2023-04-12 154941.png

Screenshot 2023-04-12 155138.png

Screenshot 2023-04-12 154926.png

Screenshot 2023-04-12 154958.png

7 hours ago, slughead said:

I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary. All looks normal to me. The frame rate was 72Hz and didn't drop. What specs are you running and what settings both in the game and Oculus config?

Mine are below...

RTX4090, 13900K.

Quest Pro via USB-C link.

Screenshot 2023-04-12 154904.png

Screenshot 2023-04-12 154941.png

Screenshot 2023-04-12 155138.png

Screenshot 2023-04-12 154926.png

Thanks for checking 🙂

Yes ASW hasn't activated when you're constantly at 72 fps so you wont see the distortions.

I have an 4090 but an 8700K @ 5GHz. My settings are the same in game as yours except for heat blur is low and terrain shadows are default.

• In-game PD is 1.3 but in OTT it's 1.0.
  • 960 Mbps enc speed.
  • 3600 px Width.
  • ASW Mode Auto.
  •  

I think the answer is to stay away from ASW. I was reading it's an ASW 1.0 problem, ASW 2.0 will fix it but not supported in DCS.

WMR reprojection didn't have this issue, so hadn't noticed it on my G2.

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73

13 minutes ago, Blue73 said:

Thanks for checking 🙂

Yes ASW hasn't activated when you're constantly at 72 fps so you wont see the distortions.

I have an 4090 but an 8700K @ 5GHz. My settings are the same in game as yours except for heat blur is low and terrain shadows are default.

• In-game PD is 1.3 but in OTT it's 1.0.
  • 960 Mbps enc speed.
  • 3600 px Width.
  • ASW Mode Auto.
  •  

I think the answer is to stay away from ASW. I was reading it's an ASW 1.0 problem, ASW 2.0 will fix it but not supported in DCS.

WMR reprojection didn't have this issue, so hadn't noticed it on my G2.

cheers

John

I seem to remember something about the in-game PD should be left at 1.0. I doubt that is causing your problem though. Are you running the Open Beta? I can't see anything else about your configuration that would cause this. I would recommend returning everything to default. If it's still a problem, yikes! If it isn't a problem, then start to adjust again one change at a time. I only have heat blur off because it is broken in that it blurs the HUD and terrain shadows to flat just - well it just gives more headroom and generally I don't see any difference unless I'm spending my time looking for it instead of trying to stay alive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 7Coolhand said:

Pulled the trigger for a QPro. Let you know me thoughts after the weekend.

Great choice, it is a very good headset. If you're not on a 4090 I recommend planning for that. The headset really shines when the PD is increased and running MSAA 4x. I also could run the encoder at 960 without issues unlike my 3090, had to limit to 500. I swear the extra BW gave the colour spectrum more room.

Recommend flipping the back pad around to allow the headset to tilt forward, feels very comfortable and improves the FOV especially extending below you.

Edited by Blue73

1 hour ago, slughead said:

I seem to remember something about the in-game PD should be left at 1.0. I doubt that is causing your problem though. Are you running the Open Beta? I can't see anything else about your configuration that would cause this. I would recommend returning everything to default. If it's still a problem, yikes! If it isn't a problem, then start to adjust again one change at a time. I only have heat blur off because it is broken in that it blurs the HUD and terrain shadows to flat just - well it just gives more headroom and generally I don't see any difference unless I'm spending my time looking for it instead of trying to stay alive.

Yes OpenBeta. I'll switch to OTT for PD see if that makes a difference. Ultimately I'll need to reduce my settings until 72fps constant can be achieved.