Managed to AAR last night!

addman

Oh boy was it hard but after a looooong time trailing the tanker, bobbing up and down and side to side I managed to fully refuel the jet. In the end the following things helped the most.

1. Adjust RPM so you match exactly the tanker speed then micro-adjust accordingly when connected

2. Try not to overcompensate movements so you don't end up with PIO, small movements on the stick

3. Don't aim for the basket! aim for the wing/refuelingthingie from which the basket/fuelline extends

4. Don't give up! It took me like half an hour before I managed to connect properly

Love the module Aerges! keep it coming!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, addman said:

Oh boy was it hard but after a looooong time trailing the tanker, bobbing up and down and side to side I managed to fully refuel the jet. In the end the following things helped the most.

1. Adjust RPM so you match exactly the tanker speed then micro-adjust accordingly when connected

2. Try not to overcompensate movements so you don't end up with PIO, small movements on the stick

3. Don't aim for the basket! aim for the wing/refuelingthingie from which the basket/fuelline extends

4. Don't give up! It took me like half an hour before I managed to connect properly

Congratulations! Successful tanking is very rewarding once you get there. Good news is - it's only going to become easier from now on for you as you become more familiar with it. 

• Thanks 1

Congrats! That's awesome!
I see we have some different approaches. I actually find it easier to (trim), ram the probe into the basket and then go idle, and back to half throttle again, and adjust from there.
The feeling you get when you first time do a successful AAR, is un-describable and soooo satisfying.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Congrats! That's awesome!
I see we have some different approaches. I actually find it easier to (trim), ram the probe into the basket and then go idle, and back to half throttle again, and adjust from there. emoji2960.png
The feeling you get when you first time do a successful AAR, is un-describable and soooo satisfying.

Yeah, it's really satisfying😊, almost gave up at one point😅

I only tried with the Jeff a couple of times but lost interest pretty quickly
Ah! Well, the Jeff is more stable, but the probe position is awkward.
Now that you've mastered the F1, you'll never believe how easy the Hornet or the M2K are if you ever get those.
If you want more challenge, try the Tomcat or the free Skyhawk. That last one is super twitchy!

14 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

And so much again when you do it a second time and realise the first wasn't a fluke. 😉

It's interesting how our bodies or subconsciousness betray us...  When first trying - my grip on the stick was so tight I'd get sore knuckles. My shoulders so tense, holding my breath half the time. Now - I'm relaxed, I'm holding the stick only with my thumb and index finger, doing small movements mostly and the occasional larger one when necessary- all which aids a significant amount in making it easier. 

The awful thing being that I knew all this while trying to learn how to AAR but do you think I could get my body to comply with what my mind knew. Noooooo. 

• Like 1

And so much again when you do it a second time and realise the first wasn't a fluke. 
It's interesting how our bodies or subconsciousness betray us...  When first trying - my grip on the stick was so tight I'd get sore knuckles. My shoulders so tense, holding my breath half the time. Now - I'm relaxed, I'm holding the stick only with my thumb and index finger, doing small movements mostly and the occasional larger one when necessary- all which aids a significant amount in making it easier. 
The awful thing being that I knew all this while trying to learn how to AAR but do you think I could get my body to comply with what my mind knew. Noooooo. 
So true! And the teeth clenching!
Basically how I finally made it was to sit comfortably and relax!

• Like 1