N-37 Accuracy

AeriaGloria

Hello, playing this, of all Soviet platforms in DCS, this 37mm is the most inaccurate. Looking in LUA, the 37mm has 13.6 mil dispersion for 80% circle, the 23mm is 5.6 mils for the same. 5.6 mils is more common for most guns in DCS it seems, M2 browning is 6.8 mils. Hispano is also 5.6 mils. Even the M61 is 12 mils, and that has 13x the fire rate. 

Im not saying it’s a bug or making a wish, I just wonder if there is a reason it is so innacurate? Compared to earlier NS-37 it is lighter and has higher rate of fire, but much less muzzle velocity. I found a declassified CIA document about their evaluation of the gun in 1952-54, but they did not list any such accuracy, and I can’t find any purported accuracy values for the N-37, NS-37, or even the P-39 37mm the Soviets had plenty of access too. 

I would love if there was some information, or pilot notes/reports about the gun having the accuracy of a cannon on a 19th century pirate vessel 

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• 1 month later...

At this link I found some data about the cannon, it also talks about other models or major calibers but a paragraph describes the results of the test on a type of 37 mm ammunition. I report the paragraph, I think it's a translation but I attach the link so you can read the original version. I quote a part:

”In 1949, three prototypes B14-113 were produced and tests began at the factory. The ammunition of the gun included only one type of projectile - a high-explosive fragmentation incendiary tracer (OFZT), created at TsNII-58. During firing on the ground, the 37mm OFZT projectile showed good results.At a distance of 600m, the deviation from the vertical was 0.17m, and the lateral deviation was 0.16m.The tracking range was 1100m. According to the commission, when an OFZT shell hit a Pe-2 bomber, it was guaranteed to disable it."

Now I can't say whether or not it confirms her doubts but she was looking for some data and I, who am also a Mig 15 enthusiast, wanted to do a search.
Personally I believe that a weapon whose barrel is shortened, the power of the launch charge is dampened will have poor characteristics both in terms of accuracy and power but we must consider that the target is generally a large bomber at close range. I don't think you can shoot from a certain distance, I imagine that the bullet will have a curved trajectory given the weight and low muzzle speed. It would be tough to hit from a distance with very arched shots so you shoot up close and accuracy doesn't matter much at that point, I wouldn't worry too much.
Greetings and good hunting.
http://www.airwar.ru/weapon/guns/n-37.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My dream: DCS Tornado

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2023 at 10:40 AM, oreste said:

At this link I found some data about the cannon, it also talks about other models or major calibers but a paragraph describes the results of the test on a type of 37 mm ammunition. I report the paragraph, I think it's a translation but I attach the link so you can read the original version. I quote a part:

”In 1949, three prototypes B14-113 were produced and tests began at the factory. The ammunition of the gun included only one type of projectile - a high-explosive fragmentation incendiary tracer (OFZT), created at TsNII-58. During firing on the ground, the 37mm OFZT projectile showed good results.At a distance of 600m, the deviation from the vertical was 0.17m, and the lateral deviation was 0.16m.The tracking range was 1100m. According to the commission, when an OFZT shell hit a Pe-2 bomber, it was guaranteed to disable it."

Now I can't say whether or not it confirms her doubts but she was looking for some data and I, who am also a Mig 15 enthusiast, wanted to do a search.
Personally I believe that a weapon whose barrel is shortened, the power of the launch charge is dampened will have poor characteristics both in terms of accuracy and power but we must consider that the target is generally a large bomber at close range. I don't think you can shoot from a certain distance, I imagine that the bullet will have a curved trajectory given the weight and low muzzle speed. It would be tough to hit from a distance with very arched shots so you shoot up close and accuracy doesn't matter much at that point, I wouldn't worry too much.
Greetings and good hunting.
http://www.airwar.ru/weapon/guns/n-37.html

Thank you for the article it was a great read! 

If we were to assume these numbers are for 80% circle, it would be the most accurate gun in the game by far. I have no idea how to interpret that. If we multiplied by ten as if a decimal was misplaced it would still be insanely accurate. Perhaps I’m doing my calculations wrong for a 0.17m radius circle at 600m converted to milliradians at 1 km 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg