Anniversary of my 6dof flight motion simulator w/ VR

In short: I thought I would get tired with this expensive toy after a few weeks before re-sell it, which exactly my wife bet so a year ago. Well, didn't expect still love to use it after one year instead of leaving into dust. 

Started with VR 

VR & motion simulator is just like bread & butter. I won't flight again without VR & motion simulator. After all, flight or racing is all about immersiveness. And it remains true after 1 yr of use, as I thought I might be tired soon after a few weeks 

Started VR journey in 2018 w/ a second hand Rift CV1. Those 3 sensors are really headache for calibration and cable layout in living room. 

Then bought Rift S as soon as it's released in early 2019. Love inside-out solution and never be complained by my wife on complex sensor and cables. And didn't expect that was the last gen of main stream PCVR. All-in-one is totally setback to me. Enjoy the best image quality which could possibly be squeezed out from latest PC hardware. 

So I got virtual reality. What about a physical cockpit?

Stepped into fancy static simulation shair... well, it became "preamble" to next big thing

Envy those built their own 1:1 jet cockpit at home without being "fired" by wife. No guts for that. 

Then eyes on affordable "cockpit" chair so I could sit in with HOTAS mounted for a bit more immersiveness. Handed on a flight simulation chair of GT lite from Next Level Racing. It's nothing more than a foldable chair with HOTA mount. Quality is decent and felt quite convenient to have everything mounted. So I could just sit in and enjoy flight in font of a 85" flat TV. When family needs some spare in living room, the chair could be folded quite easily and put into corner and kept as low profile. 

image.png

Very soon. I realized there are some dream motion simulation equipments available in the market, which had existed only in professional aviation or entertainment industry before.  From 2dof, 3dof, 4dof to ultimate 6dof, seems mainly 2 type of platform, and both types are bulky for home. Then I saw this video from Youtube...landing/taking off from a carrier. It's poison! Dream toy to own!

It looks relatively neat for home comparing some other 6dof system I 've seen. OK. That's my baby! Bought from a local guy...not even unboxed and I saved all shipping/duty. Dream deal for me! 

Also needed to put a convincing story to wife with a comprehensive plan... 

Assembly is not even close to build a set of IKEA furniture. Took me 2 days + 2 nights on my own. I believe anyone could do that in a few hours...after he/she 'd practised with 6 sets or more. And I made all mistakes that could happen. Also made some DIY to replace those 3 gas spring which were designed for big guy upto 200 pounds to eliminate the jittering during movement. 

image.png

After all those, welcome to "real" flight! Put on VR headset, I don't feel and motion range or angle restricted significantly as the brain is easy to be cheated when you visual movement + true movement/speed, and brain would compensate the rest. Flight sim is a life time hobby not like some fading with time. Each time I "decided to onboard", just hop into the motion seat, buckle up

image.png

Surprise

It's made in UKRAINE...believe prior the war. Wish staff stays safe there.

image.png

Edited by kerlcat
  • Like 1

7800X3D /3090 /64GB /SSD 2T+4T /Quest3<-(Pico4<-Rift S <-Rift CV1) /Orion F18 /DOFReality P6; Win11

Now you make me want to buy a chair like this...your fault. 😄

Just a reminder, make some room so that your feet should not be fully on the rudder/anti-torgue pedals. should be half-way with your ankles on the "floor".

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

hahaha, yes. As long as a man noticed something truely attractive, it‘s just matter of time... 

Waiting for your great news! 6 dof is worth the money and I have no regret after a year.

BTW, thanks for reminding. I will look at pedals how to adjust to make it more comfortable. In this position, it 's easy getting tired with both feet. 

Edited by kerlcat
  • Like 1

7800X3D /3090 /64GB /SSD 2T+4T /Quest3<-(Pico4<-Rift S <-Rift CV1) /Orion F18 /DOFReality P6; Win11