OpenXR + SteamVR Camera Shake Issues

I'm running a Samsung Odyssey+ headset.

Running [OpenXR -> WMR] is suboptimal for me, as I like using reprojection and WMR's reprojection is terrible. Instead, I've continued to run either [OpenVR -> SteamVR -> WMR for SteamVR] or [OpenXR -> SteamVR -> WMR for SteamVR]. Either one works in ST, of course only the latter works in MT.

However, trying to run the latter case ([OpenXR -> SteamVR -> WMR for SteamVR]) in MT causes nauseating camera shake. The rate at which my head turns isn't matching the rate at which the camera turns. It's like watching GoPro footage. Once again, this problem does NOT occur in ST with any combination of runtime and visualizer, and ONLY occurs in MT when using [OpenXR -> SteamVR -> WMR for SteamVR].

I've attached track/log files for the same short session, in the same Instant action. One in ST and one in MT.
I've also attached my SteamVR video settings.

System:

i7-8700k
RTX 3070 (Driver from 4/13, although this problem has existed through multiple driver updates)
32 GB DDR4

EDITED: I've tried using the "shaking reduction" feature in OpenXR toolkit, but decreasing the value just makes it progressively worse.

settings.png

MT_OpenXR_SteamVR_dcs.logMT_OpenXR_SteamVR.trkST_OpenXR_SteamVR_dcs.logST_OpenXR_SteamVR.trk

Edited by itsthatguy

• itsthatguy changed the title to OpenXR + SteamVR Camera Shake Issues

"Set a negative value to reduce the amount of prediction and reduce shaking, for example -50% will cut in half the requested amount of prediction. Experimentally, best results have been achieved with values between -20% and -40%."

Using a positive value will make the shaking worse.

1 hour ago, Xtorris said:

Using a positive value will make the shaking worse.

Issue of phrasing on my part... the tool only goes from 0 to -100. You can't set a positive value.
Let me correct myself: I've tried using the "shaking reduction" feature in OpenXR toolkit, but decreasing the value just makes it progressively worse.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This has been my experience when using Virtual desktop + Steam VR + OpenXR toolkit as well.

Works fine when using OpenXR toolkit via oculus link. Will try playing around with the settings more later to see if it's fixable.

Edit: Disregard, it's actually only while the toolkit menu overlay is open where the camera shake occurs.

Edited by MoleUK

On 7/29/2023 at 6:11 AM, MoleUK said:

This has been my experience when using Virtual desktop + Steam VR + OpenXR toolkit as well.

Works fine when using OpenXR toolkit via oculus link. Will try playing around with the settings more later to see if it's fixable.

Edit: Disregard, it's actually only while the toolkit menu overlay is open where the camera shake occurs.

It happens for me even when I disable the toolkit entirely