Recommended settings for Reverb G2 v2

Nifta

Hi all,

joining the VR club with a G2 v2 arriving tomorrow. Before starting the whole setup process you maybe have recommended settings for DCS with comparable hardware:

• Ryzen 7 5800X
  • 32GB RAM
  • RTX 3800
  • M2 SSD

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

These are mine for the 3080Ti, i7 11gen.  There's two ways to go, MR or non-MR.  Motion Reprojection is not perfect yet, but I am sure you will want to try it.

Set the headset to maximum quality and highest resolution in WMR.  I run mine at 60hz because I've been using 60hz monitors for years, and I don't notice any flicker.  The nice thing about 60hz is you can maintain 60fps, whereas maintaining 90fps in a dogfight or multiplayer is still out of reach.  My game settings below work for both MR and non-MR.

non-MR settings:

Set OpenXR tools to 100% custom resolution, MR disabled, Prefer Frame Rate over Latency.

No settings from Nvidia Control Panel are required.

In OpenXR toolkit, if you want to see 60fps, add 75-80% scaling, either NIS or FSR.  Without this I get more than 30fps (the bare minimum) but less than 60fps.  You can add some Sharpening if you like, but that's all that's really required from OXRTK.

MR settings:

Set OpenXR tools to 50% custom resolution, MR enabled with best frame rate, Prefer Frame Rate over Latency.

No NCP settings required.

In OpenXR toolkit, you don't need any scaling because you took the load off the graphics pipeline with the 50% OXR resolution.  You may want to add sharpening to your taste. 

With MR, it's critical you don't fall below the FPS target or you will get lots of screen artifacts.  I get a solid 60fps in a busy dogfight with these settings.

Screen_230409_124413.jpg

Edited by Glide
  • Like 2

Am 6.6.2023 um 14:23 schrieb Glide:

These are mine for the 3080Ti, i7 11gen.  There's two ways to go, MR or non-MR.  Motion Reprojection is not perfect yet, but I am sure you will want to try it.

Set the headset to maximum quality and highest resolution in WMR.  I run mine at 60hz because I've been using 60hz monitors for years, and I don't notice any flicker.  The nice thing about 60hz is you can maintain 60fps, whereas maintaining 90fps in a dogfight or multiplayer is still out of reach.  My game settings below work for both MR and non-MR.

non-MR settings:

Set OpenXR tools to 100% custom resolution, MR disabled, Prefer Frame Rate over Latency.

No settings from Nvidia Control Panel are required.

In OpenXR toolkit, if you want to see 60fps, add 75-80% scaling, either NIS or FSR.  Without this I get more than 30fps (the bare minimum) but less than 60fps.  You can add some Sharpening if you like, but that's all that's really required from OXRTK.

MR settings:

Set OpenXR tools to 50% custom resolution, MR enabled with best frame rate, Prefer Frame Rate over Latency.

No NCP settings required.

In OpenXR toolkit, you don't need any scaling because you took the load off the graphics pipeline with the 50% OXR resolution.  You may want to add sharpening to your taste. 

With MR, it's critical you don't fall below the FPS target or you will get lots of screen artifacts.  I get a solid 60fps in a busy dogfight with these settings.

These settings work very well for me, thank you! Good frame rate especially (going with MR). If I would like to test out if my system can handle a little more sharpness without sacrificing too much fps, which options are the ones to tweak? Is it textures primarily?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nifta said:

which options are the ones to tweak?

Assuming you have OpenXR Toolkit installed, you can add sharpness with NIS, FSR or CAS.  You can leave the size at 100% and just adjust Sharpening to taste. 

Another approach is to set OpenXR Custom Resolution back to 100%, and set the Size in OpenXR Toolkit to 50% to help stay above 60fps.  NIS and FSR will render at 50%, then scale up to 100%.  I'm not too sure how Continuous Adaptive Sharpening (CAS) works, but you can experiment with it.

Personally, I prefer the non-MR approach because if MR works it's great, but if the frame rate drops below 60 it's really ugly.  If the FPS fluctuates with the non-MR approach, you don't get any screen artifacts.

Try adding MSAA x2 and Anisotropic Filtering x16 to see if your system can handle it.  This will sharpen it up and reduce the aliasing.

DCS World_20230609_51816_NIS_75_25_L.png

Edited by Glide
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 11:12 PM, Nifta said:

Maybe a stupid question: Is the resolution set here of any meaning?

Resolution in the game settings determines the 2D resolution and how big the mirrored view is on your monitor when your headset is running.  It should be equal to or less than your monitor resolution.  I don't play in 2D anymore, so I just leave this at my monitor resolution.  Some say you should set this as low as possible to reduce load.

• Like 1

vor 30 Minuten schrieb Glide:

Assuming you have OpenXR Toolkit installed, you can add sharpness with NIS, FSR or CAS.  You can leave the size at 100% and just adjust Sharpening to taste. 

Another approach is to set OpenXR Custom Resolution back to 100%, and set the Size in OpenXR Toolkit to 50% to help stay above 60fps.  NIS and FSR will render at 50%, then scale up to 100%.  I'm not too sure how Continuous Adaptive Sharpening (CAS) works, but you can experiment with it.

I installed OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality and the companion app, both of them open. But the menu that you show won't open. If get it correctly from GitHub this should open up in game with CTRl+F1/2/3 as set in the companion app, but nothing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nifta said:

But the menu that you show won't open.

Make sure you have the Preview Runtime enabled, and check on the second tab to see if the API is installed correctly.  You must be in VR to get it to show up.  You may need to restart OpenXR and WMR.

Preview Runtime Settings.PNG

API Layers.PNG

Edited by Glide

Setttings seem to be fine. I started the OpenXR demo and it asks me to open the menu with CTRL+ALT+F2 but doesn't appear. Maybe something with keyboard layout in German? No idea...

Does DCS require open composite?

Edited by Nifta