Cockpit language of Iranian F-14A, F-4E, F-5E

bies

Did Iranian F-14A, F-4E, F-5E use original english cockpits or their native iranian versions?

I'm asking about the Cold War era - 1970s pre-revolutionary Shah Iran and 1980s revolutionary Iran during Iraq-Iran war.

• Like 1

It appears the IRIAF (former IIAF) F-14 cockpit is in English.  There is a YouTube video showing a variety of HUD modes in the plane from an Iranian channel, which also shows the HSD, VDI, and ACM Panel, and all of the lettering is in English and appears the same as for a USN Tomcat.  It can be found here:

There's also a picture of an IRIAF F-14 front seat cockpit in Cooper and Bishop's "Iranian F-14 Tomcat Units in Combat," and while the picture is relatively low resolution, one can make out larger print lettering, such as "ACM" next to the ACM switch, "ALT" on the altimeter, "FUEL" and "QTY" on the fuel gauge, and for the smaller lettering, although it isn't as readable, it appears very similar to what we see in Navy F-14As.  Considering this and the video evidence, I'd say with some degree of confidence that Iranian F-14s got delivered with English cockpits and continue to use them to this day.  While I'd assume the same for the F-4 and F-5, I'd have to look around for evidence.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey