TGP arming requirements...

wess24m

I'm reading a book currently where the pilot/author describes using the laser on the TGP and, between engagements, having to toggle master arm on and off between attack runs.  Having to reenter laser code every time isn't mentioned.  Having worked with actual TGP pods IRL on the A10, I doubt that the logic of the av8b pod is dissimilar to the ones I worked on.

It would be unrealistic to have to enter laser pentameters every time you arm up.  Note that none of the aircraft modeled have that hindrance.  

I've mentioned in my previous posts: If DCS's affinity for tgp pods losing gimble 'roaming' were model IRL they'd be put on the maintenance line. Not realistic, unless you're rolling out of control the ins/GPS will correct for hard maneuvering.  If you're at a point where you're losing ginble lock your also losing ins/GPS lock of your aircraft's position.

NWP 3-22.5-AV8B, Vol. I, 2.15.1.6 Laser Code Entry (page 2-164) says that after landing the laser code is set to the default code (1111). This occurs five seconds after a weight-on-wheels transition is detected. Same document, page 1-392: default laser code following pod power−up is 1111; however, after an aircraft laser code has been entered, it becomes the default code.

About laser arming - 1.18.4.15.2 Laser Control and Arming Displays, section a) Laser Arming says that the TPod arms the laser if all of the following conditions are met:

- Aircraft is weight−off−wheels,

- Aircraft landing gear is up,

- Aircraft indicated airspeed is greater than 100 knots,

- MC indicates the aircraft is in−flight,

- TPOD is in A/G mode,

- Designated target,

- TPOD format is displayed on either the left or right MPCD.

- Master arm is in the ARM position.

And an armed laser is automatically safed if any of the above arming conditions becomes invalid.

Described Litening is a slightly older model than the one we have, but ther is no publicly available info on it (that I was able to find).

Edited by Aernov
  • Like 2