HMP400 vs. GIAT M621

kotor633

Hello Rotorheads,

I'm still excited about the last update of the Gazelle. What would interest me now in detail is the comparison HMP400 vs. GIAT M621. Effectiveness, penetrating power. The HMP uses .50 caliber, the GIAT uses .79 caliber. (In DCS we can still choose different types of ammunition for the GIAT, I don't think we can for the HMP. I don't know to what extent this is simulated in DCS, however).

Btw: During my research on the internet I found out that the manufacturer FN also has a gun and rocket pod RMP LC.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

I hope this is the right image and makes it more obvious:

EGOTJ0AmpxEVUPfTEQ-P4FMRv9cSJDYmCtQowtaT

.50 vs 20mm

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

The HMP400 is the venerable M2 Browning .50 machine gun, in the M3 aircraft version which has a much higher cyclic rate, firing approximately 1000 rpm, versus the M2's 500 or so.  The GIAT M621 is a light 20mm cannon designed for aircraft and LAV use. The .50 BMG cartridge was originally developed as an anti-tank round post WW1, and depending on the ammunition used is capable of defeating light armor.  The .50 BMG is too small to have much explosive payload, but the Mk211 round is capable of functioning in similar effect to an HE 20mm round.  The M621 is capable of firing the full range of NATO 20x102mm rounds, though what we have in DCS is basically an HE, HEI and SAPHEI.  As far as practical differences go in DCS, all three rounds appear to function the same.  

• Like 2