Firefly v 14 Tiger 1s - Fun with Tanks

goddom

I am not really into the flying as much - though I might get a joystick and try my hand eventually - but I like tank battles. So I thought it would be fun to do some WWII tank fighting.

Unfortunately the AI and the mission editor seems to make it hard to get a battle that seems to realistically simulate human players, but I set up a mission in which 1 firefly versus 14 Tiger 1s. It was challenging and eventually I was successful. You can see the video link below. I attached the mission if you want to try it. It is a fun challenge for sure. I think I killed the last enemy at about the 6 min mark but I wasn't sure so spent a bit of time looking around before hitting F10 to verify. 

This was definitely not my smoothest run. In fact I was surprised I was successful at all since I missed so many shots... but it is what it is. This it the raw - uncut video.

To increase the difficulty level, I only used the F7 view zoomed in to simulate the commander being "head out" - and turned off the labels so I wasn't sure where the enemy tanks were.

Some of my observations are that because the enemy tanks were set to go to specific locations they prioritize that over shooting at the player. Which makes it easy to take advantage of that in game and getting behind them to kill them is better. Also they are less likely to shoot at the player when traversing through trees because as they move they screw up their own aim.

Anyways, Ill be making more of these improbable missions if anyone is interested in trying them out lol.

Mission if you want to try it:

Mission 7 - firefly v Tigers.miz

• Like 2

Thing in DCS is that ground is so flat and smooth that you can shoot while moving the tank, which was not possible IRL 🙂

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Yeah, I think you are right that is why I was a little disappointed in the tank dynamics. Also the tree models aren't great either. It seems like my rounds always hit the trees and the enemy tanks can shot through them lol.

I joined DCS because I heard it was really accurate, but I think that is more for air combat than ground combat.

@goddom This trees are pain in air to ground combat. Branches of tree will stop anything including bombs missiles etc. Not sure about mg and cannon rounds they may pass through.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor