MT running 1/3 speed of ST even bottlenecked in the menus.

gibilator

Hey folks,

A plea for help here!

I am having a major issue with MT running MUCH worse than ST. This is accentuated by the fact the menus run at 40fps (vs the 120 in ST). The deficit continues when loading into the sim nettering around 30-50% of the performance achieved in ST. I have searched high and low for the past 48hrs for answers.

I am in VR and this has only cropped up since using my new Pimax Crystal Headset vs the Reverb G2 I had previously been running. The troubleshooting I have tried to date:

- Disable SMT
- Repair the game (slow)
- Clean files
- Delete all Saved Game data (copied inputs folder back in only)
- tried resetting Nvidia Control Panel Data
- tried setting NCP to Max Performance and MAXFPS to 1000
- Checked no Autoexec.cfg

System Specs
5800x3d (stock running cool)
64gb CL16@3866
m.2 drive.

Any ideas would be fantastic I am trying to test Quad View Foveated Rendering but being held back massively by CPU constraints.

Cheers,
giB

Edited by gibilator
updated

• gibilator changed the title to MT running 1/3 speed of ST even bottlenecked in the menus.
5 hours ago, fab.13 said:

Hello

Maybe you should check first in dcs log that the same vr api is used for ST and MT( openxr vs steam vr vs open vr and so on…)

Hey Fab, 

Thanks so much for the response!

I have attached my log file (inc processor dump) and screenshot a heap of what I would consider potentially relevant information. I can't see the VR api that DCS is calling only my launch parameters. Having said that its definately using OpenXR as the toolkit information and mirror is showing in both MT and ST.

Can you spot anything I'm missing. 

Cheers,
Josh.

DCS MT issues.png

dcs.log

Edited by gibilator

Setup and setttings look good to me Gib only i can think of is the default resolution on the new crystal's is really high, i watched a Vrflightsimguy video and he had to reduce/override the resolution to get back to reasonable framerates.

He overrided the resolution within OpenXR toolkit mate, hope this helps.

• Like 1

wheelie

Windows10, RTX4090 OC, i9-9900k @ 5ghz all cores, 64gb DDR3600 ram, M.2 boot drive and crucial SSD's, M.2 for DCS.
VR user Varjo Aero, Virpil Throttle and Base with Thrustmaster sticks.

1 hour ago, gibilator said:

Unfortunately this is cpu related as I'm getting 1/3 of the performance in the same scenario as single threaded. Turbo mode won't help in my situation unfortunately.

Thats weird given the strength of the CPU Gib, is AMD EXPO enabled in the bios?

wheelie

Windows10, RTX4090 OC, i9-9900k @ 5ghz all cores, 64gb DDR3600 ram, M.2 boot drive and crucial SSD's, M.2 for DCS.

4 hours ago, robin00795 said:

same problem here, 12900k /4090 and crystal, its hella lag fest in menu, when I manage to get ingame its fine tough

Interesting. Mine continues into the sim, I only net around 30FPS instead of 45-120 in ST mode regardless of the settings.

On 7/14/2023 at 1:13 AM, gibilator said:

100% Ive dialed back everything to stock but its clocked at 3600mhz 15-15-15-38 odd currently

I'm assuming you already have the NVidia control panel optimized but this is mine. Main things for MT is "Threaded Optimisation" should be ON. I also have VSync as FAST as it stops tearing.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

• Like 1

wheelie

vor 6 Stunden schrieb wheelie:

I'm assuming you already have the NVidia control panel optimized but this is mine. Main things for MT is "Threaded Optimisation" should be ON. I also have VSync as FAST as it stops tearing.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Using nearly the same settings like you and DCS performs great. One thing that is really strange is vsync, because it shouldn't have any affect in DCS-VR but when i set it to fast there is a noticeable positive impact (no tearing) - strange because vsync isn't working in VR - or should not work in VR 🙂

Are you using Hyperthreading or SMT or do you keep it off? Iam not sure which setting performs better - some people say keep it off within dcs-mt

Edited by LOW_Hitman

i9-9900K / Bios Profile XMP1 / Rog Strix Z-390F Gaming / Zotac Geforce RTX-3070ti Trinity OC / 32GB HyperX Fury 2666 / Saitek X52 HOTAS / Pico 4

5 hours ago, LOW_Hitman said:

Using nearly the same settings like you and DCS performs great. One thing that is really strange is vsync, because it shouldn't have any affect in DCS-VR but when i set it to fast there is a noticeable positive impact (no tearing) - strange because vsync isn't working in VR - or should not work in VR 🙂

Are you using Hyperthreading or SMT or do you keep it off? Iam not sure which setting performs better - some people say keep it off within dcs-mt

Hyperthreading is on mate and works fine for me with an i9 9900k @5ghz all cores.
The Vsync to FAST is a weird one but i think its more driver/nvidia related than specific to VR. Great when it stops tearing though, i had to disable vsync in DCS and set vsync to fast and have left it that way for about 18 months now.

Glad you had a positive result with it.

• Like 1

wheelie

I have used those NCP settings and done a -30 PBO on all cores (currently stable), which netted some CPU performance gains. I found this interesting though. It seems to be not using the CPU very much, with very few cores ever seeing 50%+ utilisation.

These 2 screenshots are in menus and then loaded into an APACHE Instant action on PG (both instances the DCS window is in the foreground)

16% utilisation loaded in APACHE - PG instant action.png

13% CPU utilisation in menu.png

SOLVED

Turns out I one of the few things I had reinstalled on the format was Jabbahs "OpenXR OBS Mirror". One of the devs has confirmed it was the issue and uninstalling it has fixed the issue. The dev is working on an update which will rectify the issue that is Quad Views / OpenXR Mirror specific.

Thanks everyone for your help.

• Thanks 1