TGP question

davidrbarnette

Does anyone know if the current stabilization behavior of the TGP is as intended?

When you slew the TGP and designate, the TGP crosshairs drift around as you maneuver after the designation.

If you slew the TGP again after designation, it stabilizes and doesn’t drift.

I’m not an expert, but that seems counterintuitive. I’d think it would stabilize when you designate.

It seems… backwards. You lose stabilization when you designate, then when you slew it re-stabilizes.

Additionally, if you select point track, then click the auto acquisition button to get a track, it tracks, but when you designate it seems to drop the track. I’ve noticed it also jumps from area track to point track and vice versa when you designate. All kinds of strange.

Edited by davidrbarnette
  • Like 1

There appears to be some HOTAS mixed up between the front and backseat. In the backseat TDC press changes swaps between PTRK/ATRK. In the front seat TDC press should only designate but seems to also swap between PTRK and ATRK. The rest I don’t know what’s going on with. Enableing or disabling the point track should not be related to the designation, and you shouldn’t have to slew it slightly to get it to start tracking.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, davidrbarnette said:

Does anyone know if the current stabilization behavior of the TGP is as intended?

When you slew the TGP and designate, the TGP crosshairs drift around as you maneuver after the designation.

If you slew the TGP again after designation, it stabilizes and doesn’t drift.

I’m not an expert, but that seems counterintuitive. I’d think it would stabilize when you designate.

I'd noticed the crosshairs drift from a stable designation a little during all but the most gentle manoeuvres but it then normally drifts back for me to the originally designated point once you've returned to stable flight.

17 minutes ago, KlarSnow said:

There appears to be some HOTAS mixed up between the front and backseat. In the backseat TDC press changes swaps between PTRK/ATRK. In the front seat TDC press should only designate but seems to also swap between PTRK and ATRK. The rest I don’t know what’s going on with. Enableing or disabling the point track should not be related to the designation, and you shouldn’t have to slew it slightly to get it to start tracking.

Isn't it auto acq depress at the moment that toggles A/PTRK in the WSO seat?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

if auto acq press is enabling or disabling PTRK/ATRK that is also incorrect in the backseat. PTRK/ATRK enable should be trigger half action. Which right now does nothing.

Switching between ATRK/PTRK (sorry to reiterate but switch and enable can easily get confused) should be TDC press in the backseat.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this problem still exists. When I'm doing multicrew and I'm in the WSO seat, I find a target with the TGP and get it ground stabilized and when I press trigger full action to designate it seems to loose the ground stabilization and move around a bit as the plane is maneuvered. 

After yesterday's update, on TGP control, this is what I have observed:

PILOT: 
Auto Acq Depress -> Toggle Track 'Box' (that rectangle around the words ATRK or PTRK)
PSB 10 required to change between ATRK and PTRK (cannot be done through hotas?)

WSO:
TDC Depress -> Activates Track Box and toggles ATRK/PTRK inside Box
Move crosshairs to Untrack (remove Box)
Auto Acq Depress -> Nothing
Trigger HA -> Nothing

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

I'm still under the belief, at least until told otherwise by a subject matter expert, that designating a target with the TGP should ground-stabilize the pod. Currently, designating a target seems to remove ground stabilization until you move the pod again, at which point it stabilizes. This doesn't seem correct, but what do I know...

• Like 2

I'm not sure what I did last night, but after about an hour of practice dropping GBUs, the TPOD got unstable and the gimble went into some sort of random oscillation.  I tried putting it into SP mode (PB17 long) and undesignating (Auto Acq Depress), but the image just kept moving around.  I should have tried power-cycling it.

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro