Kicked Out of Creating a Mission by Server Maintanence?

Rex

5 hours ago, DragonSoulkin said:

I've always been a firm believer in if I buy something outright, I own it and all its contents. You pay cash for a car, nobody can take that car outside of you doing specific illegal things with it. I buy a burger, I eat the burger. It's the same thing, but in the realm of purchasing digital things it seems the sellers hide behind long winded disclaimers masked behind legal jargon that the average person isn't going to read and/or understand.

My first experience that opened my eyes on this was when the first Destiny released and I had purchased the disc copy. There was a lot of content that was "locked out" but still on the disc yet when players found ways to access this content before its "official release" they were punished. So I bought the disc, but wasn't allowed to access all the content I had purchased on said disc? It doesn't make any sense.

Here on DCS it seems it's no different. We can pay hundreds for all these digital aircraft but god forbid you end up without internet for any extended period of time, or the servers go down, or this or that, bam you can't play with the digital planes you paid more than the cover price of an entire game for. It's absolute and completely total BS. So instead of actually buying a module, what you're paying for is the temporary permission to use a module that can be taken away at any time, without notice or reason, at no fault to you.

While I agree with you, it's not the world we live in. Look at the bloke who got accused by an Amazon delivery bloke of being racist. Amazon suspended his account. His house was wired up with Alexa, and he could no longer use it. I'm guessing any movies he purchased from Amazon were also off the cards from watching, as was any audiobooks, kindle books, etc. Later, he was proven innocent and Amazon reinstated his account. 

We're talking DCS and single point of failure, but honestly, ED is the least of my worries. How long until Microsoft decides to do the same as Amazon? They're pushing users to have online accounts for logging in to a "Personal Computer". Is it only a matter of time before they suspend someone's account like Amazon did for breaking their terms and conditions that keep changing consistently, and we're told if we don't like them, we have to stop using the devices that we purchased, even though the purchase at the time was under a different T&C. I suspect I'll loose DCS because of 'someone else' before I will because of ED.

Then there is of course Paypal who went as far as bringing in conditions that they could take $2,000 from your bank account if you posted 'false information' online somewhere. Yes, they reversed that relatively quickly, but I haven't held a paypal account since. Honestly, these things need to be before a senate hearing, and legislation brought in that they can't simply take what someone has purchased because 'they don't like' something they've done. If it's legal by law, they should be able to do it without worrying about 'big business' coming to force their social justice upon people.

But my rant aside, if ED can tweak it so that authentication credentials aren't cleared when DCS 'crashes' out when their authentication servers go down, we're doing very well with ED. They look after us far better than these other companies we rely on. 

At least ED give us the option to go 'offline' permanently. Try doing that with Windows 11. Sooner or later windows will 'Deactivate' itself because you haven't been online and it can't quadroople check you're not running a pirated copy of windows. Yes - it's quite some time, but eventually, it switches to requiring activation again. 

Any electronic license you purchase these days seems to be subject to this potential flaw, but ED is the least of my concerns. 

7 minutes ago, Rex said:

I do have the "Save Password" box checked.  Since I'm the only person who uses this machine, it's always been checked.

I'm getting the invalid username/password right now, even as we speak, and I can't access any part of DCS (Except the forums), but I know why.

I remember being to access my modules locally before when the server was down, but apparently this is no longer the case.  At least not for me.

What happens if you click CANCEL?

Edited by Dangerzone
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

What happens if you click CANCEL?

This happens. 😉

image.png

Press "OK".

image.png

Press "Cancel".

image.png

Press "OK".

image.png

"Saul Goodman!"

ED could or rather should change the "Cancel" button to something like "Do you want to start DCS anyway?" or similar. Or just add another button with "Continue".

I'm in and I'm happy!

Cheers!

Edited by MAXsenna
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, DragonSoulkin said:

Here on DCS it seems it's no different. We can pay hundreds for all these digital aircraft but god forbid you end up without internet for any extended period of time, or the servers go down, or this or that, bam you can't play with the digital planes you paid more than the cover price of an entire game for. It's absolute and completely total BS. So instead of actually buying a module, what you're paying for is the temporary permission to use a module that can be taken away at any time, without notice or reason, at no fault to you.

And there's the rub. You are not buying digital aircraft, but rather a license to use their digital aircraft under their terms. This is spelled out pretty clearly near the top of the END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT that you have to agree to when you license a module. Near the top it reads

2.1 The Program is licensed for your use. This Licence confers no title or ownership in the Program ...

2.2 All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Program ...  are owned by Eagle Dynamics SA, affiliates of Eagle Dynamics SA or Eagle Dynamics SA's licensors.

So you don't really own anything when you buy a module except the right to install and use it. However it's not true that they have the right to take away your use at any time without notice or reason. The EULA spells out when they can deny use or take away your license.

See https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/license/ if you want to read the whole thing. It's blessedly short compared to many online licenses.

• Like 2

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals