RWR and CDU on separate monitors

lesthegrngo

Hi all, I'm trying to get the CDU and RWR displays to function on separate monitors using the monitorsetup.lua file. The MFCD'S work perfectly on their assigned viewports, but no matter where I place them the CDU and RWR do not display. I've tried displaying them in the middle of the main screen (x = 1200; y = 500;) just so that I can move them but they just don't appear. 

Can anyone post a working .lua file that shows the correct syntax and callouts for these two items? I would use the same setup for the A10C and A10Cii

Thanks

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo

43 minutes ago, lesthegrngo said:
Hi all, I'm trying to get the CDU and RWR displays to function on separate monitors using the monitorsetup.lua file. The MFCD'S work perfectly on their assigned viewports, but no matter where I place them the CDU and RWR do not display. I've tried displaying them in the middle of the main screen (x = 1200; y = 500;) just so that I can move them but they just don't appear. 
Can anyone post a working .lua file that shows the correct syntax and callous for these two items? I would use the same setup for the A10C and A10Cii
Thanks
Les

If you don't want to mess with code. Download and setup Helios, even if you're not going to use the cockpit panels. It's super simple and easy. Drag and drop, see where everything is placed. And easy edit if they are placed a couple of pixels wrong.
I use it for all my modules now, and have four different monitor files I "swap" around using presets before I launch DCS via Skatezilla's excellent app.

Cheers!

EDIT: I added the four different monitor files I use.

Helios_Apache_CPG.luaHelios.luaH_Capt_Zeen-SU25T-v1.0_qwerty.luaHelios_Apache_Pilot.lua

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Edited by MAXsenna

Unfortunately using Helios is another problem I will have to deal with. As you can see from the picture, I need to put the RWR and ASI on the left screen in the left hand red oval, the HSI and ADI in the middle one and the CDU in the right hand one.

I can get the RWR, ASI, HSI and ADI to all display via Helios, but no matter what I try they remain dumb panels. I used to have them working before having to upgrade Helios after a reinstall of DCS.

As you can see the MFCD's appear in their correct positions. I selected the CDU in Helios, but it shows nothing. Helios is supposed to be easy, but it's amazing how few up to date tutorials there are out there, and I have to say the same for the .lua setup for the individual cockpit instruments. The few I found are both out of date and don't work. 

I tried getting a generic A10 profile and then removing everything I didn't need, but there were so many errors and conflicts and issues that it was pointless. I couldn't copy a device and paste into my own profile, so that was a dead end too

Cheers

Les

A10 pit.jpg

Edited by lesthegrngo

@lesthegrngo
Ah, I see. Did you let Helios apply the patches?
It took me a while to completely understand how everything works. As you know Helios doesn't really do anything, unless you use the overlays.
I even got Ikarus to work, and then it sort of dawned on how all of this are tied together.
If you open the Helios.lua I included. Do we have the same viewports configured for the A-10C.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

***Edit**** forgot to answer some of your questions

Yes, I let the patches apply. The viewports thing only applies to Helios I think so not sure if that is going to be apples and apples here

I have been trying to use this tutorial on Cpt Zeen's site, ( http://captzeen.com/helios/creating_helios_profiles/#/22) but the fact is that it doesn't work the same way when I do it - a lot of the bindings stuff is different, the network values in the input / outputs bit doesn't appear, and I get none of the needle setting stuff on the picture that is linked on the site

Having the viewports set in Helios won't do much if they don't work! Getting them to appear using the Monitor Setup seems the simplest way, but there must be something about the syntax I am using that prevents them from being displayed

For the CDU screen I am toying with the idea to display the right hand MFCD on the CDU screen, even though I think that they are slightly different, but I still want the RWR symbol

***Edit*** just tried the CDU by trying to do a second RH MFCD, unfortunately it only appears to allow one instance of the MFCD, so I can have the CDU working or the RH MFCD but not both. Not sue if there is a way to duplicate

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo

9 hours ago, lesthegrngo said:

Can anyone post a working .lua file that shows the correct syntax and callouts for these two items? I would use the same setup for the A10C and A10Cii

Hi again! I just noticed in Helios that the viewports are different between the A-10C I and II. Anyway. From your post here:

It seems that you're exports are different from mine, at least what Helios wrote.

A_10C_2_CDU_SCREEN = { x = 3783, y = 648, width = 222, height = 163 }
A_10C_2_LEFT_MFCD = { x = 2622, y = 149, width = 430, height = 430 }
A_10C_2_RIGHT_MFCD = { x = 3985, y = 149, width = 430, height = 430 }
A_10C_2_RWR_SCREEN = { x = 3151, y = 167, width = 185, height = 185 }

And this is from the indicator files.

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."ViewportHandling.lua")
try_find_assigned_viewport("A_10C_2_CDU_SCREEN", "CDU_SCREEN")

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."ViewportHandling.lua")
try_find_assigned_viewport("A_10C_2_RWR_SCREEN", "RWR_SCREEN")

So, I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this.
The only reason I could figure this out by trial and error and comparing Helios, Ikarus and various profiles for both. I even get double up of the MFDs. as you can see. But I think I know why, and that should be easy to fix. I sooooo wish ED would do a "tiny bit" of work,  (I know it would probably take quite a lot of work), with FC3. And we could get rid of right, left and center MFDs. That would remove a lot of confusion. Had this issue in the Apache too.

As you can see the RWR is working, It's just behind the LEFT_MFCD.

image.png

No wonder people give up or go crazy.

As for the other instruments that are not "exportable" as viewports not working, I'd say you have issues with your export.lua.

As for placing stuff and moving them around to the correct position, I find coordinates easily I use this tool.

Mofiki's Coordinate Finder.zip

Cheers!

Edited by MAXsenna

Out of sheer luck somehow I got the CDU to display using the viewports method - I would swear that I did nothing different, but I must have done something. I wish I know what it was!

That leaves the RWR indicators

Here's the .lua file that made the CDU function

= function(p) return p; end;
name = _('Camera+LMFCD+RMFCD_RWR5');
Description = 'Left MFCD on the left monitor,Right MFCD on the right and camera on the center'
Viewports =
{
     Center =
     {
          x = 0;
          y = 0;
          width = 2560;
          height = 1440;
          viewDx = 0;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 1.78;
     }