AIM-54C Active after Losing Track?

bonesvf103

I just heard in a tutorial video that if the AIM-54C loses a track, it will go active automatically and try to find the target itself.  I thought that in DCS this is not the case.

Which is true?

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

13 hours ago, bonesvf103 said:

I just heard in a tutorial video that if the AIM-54C loses a track, it will go active automatically and try to find the target itself.  I thought that in DCS this is not the case.

Which is true?

v6,

boNes

They were similar and neither was activating on its own. More recently, 54A and 54C follow different behaviours and the 54C can indeed go active without the WCS.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

OK, thanks!

I tried it and locked a target into PDSTT and launched at about 30 miles from angels 30 at a target that was between 10k and 20k hot, then I purposely broke the lock.  The Phoenix tracked it anyway and killed it.

I did it again another time and the Phoenix was tracking it but I think the bandit was able to trash the missile.  Still, it looked as if the Phoenix was still trying to track it all the way until it self-destructed.

I will need to explore this more.

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Np! 🙂

The extrapolated track is.. well.. watch the video in this comment:

Unfortunately, I doubt this will be fixed until the new API is fully completed and deployed by ED.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack