No sound in VR mode

Rhrich

I’m having a problem and I don’t even know how to start troubleshooting. 

I'm suddenly, and without having changed anything, not hearing any sounds in VR. 

I’m getting sound from the VR headset for everything else (like if I open YouTube or Spotify) and the sound in game is set to the correct output. 

Any ideas? Where do I start to troubleshoot?

Specs and what I’ve checked so far:

Windows 10, DCS MT, G2 headset, openxr running through DCS. 

In windows sound mixer I can’t find DCS, but it’s one “unknown source” and it’s not muted. 

I’ve tried repairing DCS. It is updated to latest patch. 

PS: I’m an old fart using DCS to combat my withdrawal symptoms from not being able to fly planes in real life, so I might not be the most tech savvy. 

I don't have a G2 myself, but the 1st thing I can think of:

Is your main audio output selected to the G2 in the DCS audio settings?
Volume not turned all the way down in those settings?

Br,

Mud

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Hey Mud, thanks for your help. 
Yes, it’s selected and the volume is turned up. 

From reading through comments here I see the multithreaded game seems to have some issues. I believe I’m running with that. Can this be an explanation?

Im not sure how I run without multi but with VR. (I’ve downloaded a DCS update tool that lets me run DCs without vr, and then the sound is fine, but I’m not sure if that is multi or not). 

Multicore is started from the .exe: \DCS World\bin-mt\DCS.exe
Whereas the older .exe is started from: \DCS World\bin\DCS.exe

DCS World being the main installation folder.  Might be named something else in your case.

Spoiler

You said you cannot find DCS listed in the Windows volume mixer, right?

When DCS is started and you check in Windows > right click the sound icon in the icon tray > Open Volume Mixer

I just tested myself and I do see DCS there.  You might need to broaden that window (or use the slider at the bottom) a bit because it might not show all applications.
Hopefully someone else with a G2 will chime in here.

• Like 1
Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for help, but unfortunately it wasn’t the solution. 

I sort of solved it using a solution I found in an old Reddit post: I booted up as normal, set all sound in DCS to 0 (all sound sliders) and quit DCS. Then I booted up DCS again and set the sliders up again. Then I’ve got sound as normal. 

However, a new problem has arisen: The sound works as long as I’m in DCS. If I then quit, it will not work again the next time I start DCS and I’ll have to repeat the process mentioned over. 
Any ideas how to solve this? 

Since the solution is found in DCS I’m going to assume that the issue also is within DCS. But what can cause this:

So, to be clear, the issue is: If I don’t set all the volume sliders in DCS sound settings to 0 before exiting, DCS won’t give me sound next time I start. 

Edit: I’m as certain as I can be windows settings didn’t affect this and that it is something inside DCS that’s causing it. 

Edited by Rhrich

• 2 weeks later...

Check output setting under "Options/audio"
I normally send all sounds to speakers, and radio/cockpit sounds to the G2

Audio.png

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar