Terrain follow radar stuttering.

Miro
Go to solution Solved by Miro,

3 hours ago, Kercheiz said:

I will check this. Maybe a "low fidelity" checkbox could be a solution, but this would make it more prone to crash into stuff like power lines. Added to the todo list anyway

It stutters pretty badly for me on an i7 12700KF, 64GB of RAM and a RTX 4080.

A "low fidelity" checkbox required for such a rig… I wouldn’t call that low fidelity. There seems to be something more than not having a beefy enough rig.

Did you try adjusting the thread count? A good starting value is 4.

It should definitely not cause stutters with that CPU. TF is much less demanding than HRM.

I'm interested by a video showing the FPS graph, and TF on and off showing the issue

Edited by Kercheiz

• 2 months later...

Same for me.

Planes: A-10C/II - FC3 - F/A-18C - F-16c - F-5 - F-15E - F-4E

Helicopters: UH-1H Huey - KA-50 Black Shark - AH-64D

Maps: Sinai - Normandy 2.0 - Channel - Syria - Persian Gulf - South Atlantic

Extras: Supercarrier - WWII Asset Pack

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 12600k | MOBO, MSI, MAG 760 TOMAHAWK | MEMORY, Corsair 64GB DDR4 |GRAPHICS CARD, RTX 4070 SUPER | PSU, 850W | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, 2GB M.2

@Miro You are writing in your first post that you have constant 60fps, but "feel" 30fps. And in your last video, TFR definitely has a visible impact on CPU use, but barely any effect on frame rate (it only jumps to ~55fps a couple of times). If you are worried by the CPU use chart increase, it's perfectly normal, TFR has to do a lot of terrain & object analysis to function. There really is no issue. Using 16 radar threads is definitely not a good idea unless you have much more cores. Using a value of 4 on a recent CPU (12 cores or more) is definitely a good start.

@truebrit in your case, a FPS drop from 60 to 15 with TFR is really an issue. I will investigate, could you send a very short track file showing the problem? What is your CPU? How many radar threads do you have in F15E special options?

8 hours ago, Kercheiz said:

@Miro You are writing in your first post that you have constant 60fps, but "feel" 30fps. And in your last video, TFR definitely has a visible impact on CPU use, but barely any effect on frame rate (it only jumps to ~55fps a couple of times). If you are worried by the CPU use chart increase, it's perfectly normal, TFR has to do a lot of terrain & object analysis to function. There really is no issue. Using 16 radar threads is definitely not a good idea unless you have much more cores. Using a value of 4 on a recent CPU (12 cores or more) is definitely a good start.

Yes, it shows 60 FPS, but i got heavy stuttering, feels something like 15 FPS, i can't look around the cockpit smoothly. Recently, I accidentally turned on NAV FLIR with these stutters, and the stutters may not have stopped but decreased. As if TF was using a CPU thread that is almost unused, and by adding something that tanks FPS, I started this thread. Flying on 13900KF, 4090, 64 DDR5, M2. On my movie every time You see red colour "CPU Bound" my screen stops.

Edited by Miro

:pilotfly:

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

I have a temporary solution, and a tip for developers. The cause of the problem is V sync, if anyone is struggling with this problem, switching to V sync from the Nvidia control panel solves the problem, temporarily.

:pilotfly: