Moving from G2 to Quest 3

davidrbarnette

I’ve been using a Reverb G2 for the past year after upgrading from a Quest 2 that I really didn’t love. After reading some reviews of the Quest 3, I picked one up yesterday.

My system specs are Ryzen 9 5950X, RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4, SSD.

I have to say the reviews of the Quest 3 are pretty much on the spot. The lenses provide a basically edge to edge consistent sweet spot, unlike the G2. It’s a big upgrade in this respect. The Quest 3 also seems to provide a much “smoother” experience. 

I have to admit I was concerned about the amount of fiddling that would be required to get things dialed in, but it was surprisingly minimal. I’m running the headset at 72 mhz, max resolution in the Oculus software. I increased the bitrate to 940 in the Oculus Debug Tool, and run the headset off of the link cable.

In DCS, I’m running DLSS, med textures, high terrain textures, med shadows, med view distance, and low clouds. 

Also, running MBucchia’s Quad View Foveated Rendering provides a major performance boost and a sharper image.

Overall I’m very pleased. I’m getting a consistent 72 fps in DCS Liberation with a much larger sweet spot than with the G2 and a silky-smooth experience.

Highly recommend also trying the new Virtual Desktop Beta (1.29.3) instead of Link

i9-12900KF, MSI Gaming Trio X 4090, Gigabyte Z690, G.Skill 64GB 3600MHz DDR4, 3 x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 Thermaltake ToughPower GF3 1000W PCIe Gen 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, NZXT Z73 AIO cooler, Meta Quest 3 VR headset, Virpil WarBRD + Virpil Constellation Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals.

En 29/10/2023 a las 1:12, davidrbarnette dijo:

I’ve been using a Reverb G2 for the past year after upgrading from a Quest 2 that I really didn’t love. After reading some reviews of the Quest 3, I picked one up yesterday.

I have to say the reviews of the Quest 3 are pretty much on the spot. The lenses provide a basically edge to edge consistent sweet spot, unlike the G2. It’s a big upgrade in this respect. The Quest 3 also seems to provide a much “smoother” experience. 

I have to admit I was concerned about the amount of fiddling that would be required to get things dialed in, but it was surprisingly minimal. I’m running the headset at 72 mhz, max resolution in the Oculus software. I increased the bitrate to 940 in the Oculus Debug Tool, and run the headset off of the link cable.

In DCS, I’m running DLSS, med textures, high terrain textures, med shadows, med view distance, and low clouds. 

Also, running MBucchia’s Quad View Foveated Rendering provides a major performance boost and a sharper image.

Overall I’m very pleased. I’m getting a consistent 72 fps in DCS Liberation with a much larger sweet spot than with the G2 and a silky-smooth experience.

Could you put your config in the oculus debug? I have practically the same PC and I have to put the graphics options for multiplayer lower than you. In my case 72hz and 1.1, high texture, low terrain and low shadows. In servers in Syria he suffers a lot. We don't even talk about Apache

On 10/29/2023 at 1:12 AM, davidrbarnette said:

How does this work with the Quest 3?  Without eye-tracking, does it actually provide a performance boost?

On 10/28/2023 at 6:12 PM, davidrbarnette said:

This is encouraging to hear. I am also thinking about a Quest 3 with similar specs. Q3 might be on my Xmas wish list.

I7-10700F | RTX4070 FE | 32G RAM | Quest 2/3 | TM T16000 HOTAS & Throttle | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-15C | A-10 II | F-4E

On 11/5/2023 at 4:13 PM, lt_d4n said:

Could you put your config in the oculus debug? I have practically the same PC and I have to put the graphics options for multiplayer lower than you. In my case 72hz and 1.1, high texture, low terrain and low shadows. In servers in Syria he suffers a lot. We don't even talk about Apache

The only meaningful changes I've made in the ODT are turning off ASW and increasing the bitrate to 940. 

One suggestion: You said you're running textures at high; I'd consider changing this to medium. I really don't see much of a visual difference, and it definitely really hits the framerate in a negative way with the setting on high. 

Syria and Apache both definitely need improved performance. Syria is about 10 fps lower than the Persian Gulf map for me, and the Apache is probably about 10 fps lower than other modules.

15 hours ago, S D said:

How does this work with the Quest 3?  Without eye-tracking, does it actually provide a performance boost?

Yes, it definitely provides a performance boost. It runs in "fixed" mode since you don't have eye tracking. My understanding (and I am no expert on the topic) is that the Quad View application puts the load for the foveated rendering on the CPU, so if you have a good CPU with some headroom, I think you see a decent result.

• 2 months later...

Little late to the party here but, I have a friend who tried Q3, & he had a problem with setup.  Something to do with using his cell phone during setup.  He doesn't use his cell that much, so that's probably the reason.   I'm not joined at the hip with my cell either, so I'm a little reluctant to give Q3 a try.  Do you actually need a cell to set up the Q3?   Thanks

I9 13900K 32gb DDR5  RTX 4090  Win 11

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2023 at 1:12 AM, davidrbarnette said:

I'm fascinated by how you are managing 72fps in liberation. I'm still running a Q2, on a 4070ti, 5800x and 32gb ram at slightly higher settings than you, but in Liberation on the Syria map I'm dropping to as low as 8fps on the deck of the carrier and that's with culling set to 100km. In single and MP I'm a pretty solid 72fps.

Any chance you wouldn't mind sharing your full settings, it might help me identify where I need to change things.

Ryzen 7 5800x, RTX 4070Tti, 32gb RAM, Quest 2, Delanclip head tracking, Warthog throttle and stick with 100mm extension, TFRP Pedals, 34" ultrawide 1440p monitor. Av8b, F18, M2000C, FC3, F5, A4, UH1, UH60

13 minutes ago, bflo said:

Does the headset need to be charged up if your using with link cable ?

I find mine slowly discharges in use even with the link cable plugged into a usb port. 

Ryzen 7 5800x, RTX 4070Tti, 32gb RAM, Quest 2, Delanclip head tracking, Warthog throttle and stick with 100mm extension, TFRP Pedals, 34" ultrawide 1440p monitor. Av8b, F18, M2000C, FC3, F5, A4, UH1, UH60

2 hours ago, Japo32 said:

I had this problem with quest2. battery was discharging in use specially with 1.5 supersampling. That is the reason I went to a displayport device.

You can buy a cable that will allow charging at a higher rate whilst using link. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BRQHN5MY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I used it for a while and it seems to keep the quest 3 topped up. I have since swapped to Airlink using a bobovr m3 pro headstrap with 3 batteries.

3 hours ago, WurzelGummage said:

I find mine slowly discharges in use even with the link cable plugged into a usb port. 

Thanks, what I'm getting at is, I don't plan to ever use it without the cable, so no matter the condition of the battery, it will work?

Edited by bflo

I9 13900K 32gb DDR5  RTX 4090  Win 11

8 minutes ago, bflo said:

Thanks, what I'm getting at is, I don't plan to ever use it without the cable, so no matter the condition of the battery, it will work?

I tend to keep mine charged, so I don't know if it would work if the battery was low or not accepting a charge, sorry.