Need for Speed!

UncleStains

Shadow's Trophy 2023, Virpil's annual helicopter race, is on right now! https://virpil-servers.com/tournaments/shadows-trophy-2023/info.html

STT_TRACK1.jpeg.6cbcb0c900b6fcd2c509c113

Does keeping the aircraft in aerodynamic trim actually help? Does full right pedal save power for the main rotor? It seems like you only go full collective on the tight turns, as it's hard to keep the nose down with only 200# of fuel.

I've been using full-opposite pedal to tilt the Huey as I pass each slalom gate. The hairpin seems simple enough, taking a wide turn and then coming as close as possible to the inside and outside pylons. The chicane is the great equalizer based on all the burned out helicopters piled around it.

This race course is a blast and everybody should try it out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's what I've figured out so far:

• In general, you go fastest by having your lift vector pointed as close to the direction you want to go as possible.
  • Start by flying at 500'+ AGL past the start, to the very edge of the airport. Dive into the start with the airspeed needle pegged.
  • Handle the first part of the slalom (which is close together) by staying near the top of the oil derricks. They're thinner at the top so you have to slalom slightly less.
  • Slow down when you pass the first derrick so you can make the cut back to the next one.
  • Once you get to the wider slalom, dive for the ground. Go full left pedal and cyclic forward, controlling altitude with the collective as you finish the slalom section.
  • For the hairpin, cut speed for the turn by climbing to the top of the inside derrick then use that altitude to speed up as you dive out of the hairpin.
  • I don't have a great line for the chicane figured out, but it definitely involves entering the chicane on the deck with a hard left turn, climbing to the inside, and diving out.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This looks fun! So you can practice on the qualification server as much as you want without it impacting whether you qualify? Or is there a map to download?

I have been running the old Huey FM via the text edit, but I suppose to be competitive I will have to revert to the new current FM eh?

• Like 1

All modules & maps | VR only (5950x, 4090, Reverb G2)

How do you know if you qualify? Is it based on people who run it most, or fastest, or both? If you practice and run too slow too often does it disqualify you? Or is it only if you cross a certain threshold at least once when you qualify? Once you qualify, can it be revoked if you underperform in later runs?

• Like 1

All modules & maps | VR only (5950x, 4090, Reverb G2)