Viper pit scratch build

BaronVonVaderham

Hey guys,

thought I shared some of my own work so far. 

i started with a front panel and cheek panels, which I drew out on fusion, and then cut from all purpose boards (no idea what it’s made of, wood and plastic I been told, very hard stuff and reminds me of Bakelite).

I stuck a pair of cougars on the front and a pair of 8” displays on the back. 
i got a bunch of panels from PSM that I mounted on it. 

i also made a pedestal out of 5mm MDF. On that I screwed a pair of (I think 7”) displays, which I intend to populate with Helios. 

both were made just with a jigsaw, drill and sandpaper 

I’m still getting things installed and am waiting for suitable caches (I need some of those flat pcb ribbon cables to get hdmi age usb cables to fit), which should come in today. 
then it becomes time to set things up in Helios and dcs. 

I also got an icp and DED as well as right hand panels from PSM. They will live on my desk for the time being, as I don’t really have space to make a full cockpit just yet. 

the front panel can be removed from the pedestal for storage purposes. Not sure how to mount the cheeks yet (I would welcome suggestions), but the pedestal has a protruding board that I can clamp to my desk. It’ll be a bit high, but it’s workable. 

The entire exercise has been really good, as it allowed me to find out what works and what doesn’t. I’m now refining my drawings, so that I can get panels laser cut. Still thinking through some of that design, as I need to make the pedestal more stable, and I need to figure out how I will connect the stiffeners to the side and front panels of the pedestal once I start using pre-cut panels. I could bolt them, but that’ll take space I don’t really have. I could rivet them (you know with the simple hand rivet tool), which isn’t very strong but might work, or maybe a combination of glueing and screwing. 

I’ll post some more  when I get things set up. 

IMG_1715.jpeg

IMG_1716.jpeg

IMG_1717.jpeg

IMG_1718.jpeg

Edited by BaronVonVaderham
  • Like 1