Is it possible to turn off/disable the Doppler Stationary Flight Indicator Warning Light?

Spawnferkel
Go to solution Solved by AeriaGloria,

I recently got into the Hind and tried night ops the other day. I have previuously flown the Hip for many years and recognize many system similarities between the two modules. While I have no problems setting up the Hip for night ops, I am unable to do so in the Hind because some lights in the cockpit wont go out, no matter what.

However, although the doppler system seems to be almost an exact 1:1 copy, i found that in transit flight when the doppler stationary flight indicator - SFI - stops working and the warning light appears, the warning light is too bright and severly hampers the use of night vision goggles in the Hind.

In the Mi-8 there is a turning dial on the back of the cockpit (behind the Pilot Navigator) to control the brightness of any 5V-lights, which can be used to set the brightness of all doppler-related systems to a desired level. However, I am so far unable to find any brightness knob for the doppler systems in the Hind. I have looked both in the pilot seat and the gunner seat without success.

I could in theory disable the doppler system, but that is not my goal, since I want to use the system, but without any blinding light. All the turning knobs which control instrument panel brightness dont seem to affect the SFI.

So, is there a button/ dial/ knob/ arcane ritual which disables the doppler lighting?

Thank you for your time reading this.

PS: Track files and/or screenshots will be provided if required.

• Like 1

• Solution

No, just not designed for night flying. 

Perhaps the bright - sim switch by the top of the switches by your left shoulder, it is next to buttons to make Ri-65 Rita repeat or test herself. Those usually dim or brighten warning lights slightly, but don’t think it would affect things 

As you said, you would have to turn the whole thing off. I’m sure in reality they would need to use stickers or replace the light with a filter, but the amtough answer is whe it was designed in 1972-1974, it was simply not made for night ops 

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg