Disembarking Troops

Well, you can't make the helicopter land, but you can make it do a nice flair, pause at the halt, and continue on.

The AI won't go lower than about 100m, no matter what you put in a waypoint (other than land, which will whip to the nearest airfield).

You can also make it just hover in one spot, but that's unrealistic.

I got an Mi-8 to do a credible looking turn, flare, and pause over a building to simulate putting troops on a rooftop by using four waypoints:

The first is the "line up" waypoint, altitude 100m, speed 150, as a "fly over."

Second is 600m online, "fly over," altitude 100m, speed 50 at a 35 degree angle to the left.

Third is a "fly over, altitude 100m, distance 300m, speed 20, at about 20 degrees to the right - basically forcing it to do a hard wingover, which looks like a reverse to flare.

Fourth is a "fly over" with a speed of zero some 600m distant from the last waypoint.

What happens is the bird comes in and starts to slow at the first waypoint in prep for the second.

At the second she'll try to slow down to that 20kph and point at the third waypoint.

This is the money maker, as it'll go nose high, rotate right, nose down to correct for altitude, and then flare hard to slow down, coming to a near stop before continuing on.

It then passes through that waypoint, rotates and hovers at the last one a safe distance away.

The frustrating part is that it's not an exact science, and it took a lot of tinkering to get the darned thing to do the flare-stop in the right spot.

Now if we can get a fast rope....

Oh, and I cheated on the troops by having them magically appear on the rooftop based on time.

Then again, storming a building is all about timing, right?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=38255

I got a hind to 'appear' to drop off 8 troops by placing a farp near the target area. Then you use a trigger (create group when aircraft altitude is less than) to activate the troopers. Trick is, the altitude seems to be ASL. So, where I placed my FARP (near one of the airfields) I had to set the altitude to 35 meters. Anything else wouldn't trigger the troops.

Also, do not make one group of eight troopers. They will spawn in a strung out formation. I placed 8 seperate groups in a tightly knit group. Added bonus to this method, is you can control where each trooper goes. In my test mission, the troopers split up into groups of 2 and seized the major areas of the airfield. You could just as easily direct each trooper to take cover or 'appear' to load into a nearby transport truck or apc. =)

In case you couldn't tell. I want the mi-24v sim the most of all. =) Practicing now to make some truely awesome insertion missions. Just wish I could fly the bogeyman instead of the AI. =(

Also, do not make one group of eight troopers. They will spawn in a strung out formation.

Um, actually, you can adjust them to position and orientation - if one doesn't have them run.

However, one can put them in cone (wedge) formation.

In the editor, after you place the first guy and click to make his group 8 Joes, zoom in and click each one and move them and change their orientation. When they pop they'll be just like one placed them in the editor.

Your way sounds very fun, though, and probably looks super cool.

I got a hind to 'appear' to drop off 8 troops by placing a farp near the target area. Then you use a trigger (create group when aircraft altitude is less than) to activate the troopers. Trick is, the altitude seems to be ASL. So, where I placed my FARP (near one of the airfields) I had to set the altitude to 35 meters. Anything else wouldn't trigger the troops.

Also, do not make one group of eight troopers. They will spawn in a strung out formation. I placed 8 seperate groups in a tightly knit group. Added bonus to this method, is you can control where each trooper goes. In my test mission, the troopers split up into groups of 2 and seized the major areas of the airfield. You could just as easily direct each trooper to take cover or 'appear' to load into a nearby transport truck or apc. =)

In case you couldn't tell. I want the mi-24v sim the most of all. =) Practicing now to make some truely awesome insertion missions. Just wish I could fly the bogeyman instead of the AI. =(

I hope you post up that mission!

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

I hope you post up that mission!

I work alot so it's taking me a while to get the time to polish the missions like I want. Most of my time has been more like "I really want to do this - now how do I do it" and mucking about with triggers and such. I am working on a mission now I won't mind posting when I get it finished. Actually maybe you gents can assist with a small problem I am having.

I have a farp near a town in the mountains. I want two ka-50s and two mi-24vs to occupy the 4 landing areas. This will be my base template for all future missions in this paticular region. However, when the game loads, all I see are two copters (one group). After about a minute or so, the other group (two helis) appear suddenly. I don't have them on delay or anything. I know I can use a couple of static groups and probably get around this, but I would much rather have two active groups. This is a time saver, because sometimes the hinds will fly with you, and sometimes not. Any ideas?

BTW thanks for clueing me in to the fact I can arrange troops in a group individually. I just assumed, and never even attempted to. :doh:

Different spots on delay. I am still placing objects, so I havn't actually had any of them take off yet. So, the 1st group is there okay, then about a minute in - the next group just pops up on the empty pads.