Analog controls for binary switches, eg radar slew, or trim?

windsurfingstew
Go to solution Solved by Lange_666,

I have an XBox controller which I bought to use as my radar controls. I fly VR mostly so don't like using the keyboard.

The XBox controller has a number of analog controls, eg joysticks, on it. But DCS uses four binary controls for shifting the radar focus and trim around. Is there any clever way to use one of the XBox controller's joysticks for this function?

I can't speak for the Xbox controller specifically. However there are a number of joystick control programs out there that let you convert movement of analog axes to virtual button presses. One I've seen mentioned often (but have not used myself) is Joystick Gremlin. https://whitemagic.github.io/JoystickGremlin/

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

21 hours ago, windsurfingstew said:

But DCS uses four binary controls for shifting the radar focus and trim around. Is there any clever way to use one of the XBox controller's joysticks for this function?

Yes, most modules also have an axis control for the radar cursor.
Examples:
F-18C: Throttle Designator Controller - Horizontal Axis
            Throttle Designator Controller - Vertical Axis

F-16: RDR Cursor Switch - Y-Axis
         RDR Cursor Switch - X-Axis

You can assign one of the XBox analog sticks to these controls.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

5 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Yes, most modules also have an axis control for the radar cursor.
Examples:
F-18C: Throttle Designator Controller - Horizontal Axis
            Throttle Designator Controller - Vertical Axis

F-16: RDR Cursor Switch - Y-Axis
         RDR Cursor Switch - X-Axis

You can assign one of the XBox analog sticks to these controls.

My issue may be that I'm using the Flaming Cliffs F-15C. I'm learning this first, then will move onto the F-16/FA-18 high fidelity models, so it is good to know that this will be another advantage.

• Solution

FC F-15C: TDC Slew Horizontal and TDC Slew Vertical.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!