Improved comms (BVR)

falcon_120

To add to my long list of core features i'd like to see improved (specially better Air combat AI) now i'm adding better comms:

Improved Comms and chatter specially for BVR combat, this applies not only to Magic but also to your flight/other flight:

• Provide and update the picture in a more intelligent and realistic manner, specially using Bullseye reference and using dynamic comms based on the structure of enemy groups (eg: using key words like "stack", "Box" and references like "lead/trail" "northern/southern/western/eastern" group, or aspect "beaming/hot/cold") and any change to what they're doing (e.g. "northern group maneuver beaming".
  • Possibility to customize warning or tripwires (eg. Being able to tell Magic to let you know of any bandit only when closer to 40nm, avoiding that disturbing calls to you at 150ish NM)
  • Flight/allied communication able to inform about some basic BVR timelines and combat information ("cranking left/right", spiked/naked)
  • Along with improved AI able to do some basic tactics like grinder/Chainsaw/skate...., additional comms related to that like a for example if in a Grinder (eg: "3 hot/cold leg")
  • Differentiated channels for A2A/A2G operations
  • Like 1

Channel separation is a huge thing which AWACS needs.  Not just for CAP vs CAS missions, but even for separating comms for multiple flights of the same type prosecuting different objectives.

A real-world E3 has seats for up to TWENTY mission crew (IE: controllers)  Each of those controllers can be working multiple frequencies (I don't know how the USAF divides but, but civil ATCs are often expected to manage 2-3 separate freqs).

The DCS AWACS model works fine for single-player missions, where it's really just simulating the controller assigned to the PLAYER's flight.  This even works OK for simple multiplayer missions, where everyone is in the same flight.  But once you have 3+ flights working multiple objectives, the built-in AWACS becomes useless FAST.  Most folks i know only put them in the mission for the datalink picture, and either use scripts to generate AWACS calls which are relevant to each individual flight, or use LotATC and have an actual player do it.

• Like 2

Another great suggestion, ties in with improved AI commands:

The mission editor and mission setup also needs to be considered, because how AWACS interacts with other flights will depend on what they are and what they're doing.

22 hours ago, falcon_120 said:

Possibility to customize warning or tripwires (eg. Being able to tell Magic to let you know of any bandit only when closer to 40nm, avoiding that disturbing calls to you at 150ish NM)

This is one such example as the warnings could be tied not only to range, but to a specific region of the map or a target that is need of defending or the expected threats. 150 nmi calls would actually be important if intercepting supersonic bombers with stand off weapons for instance.

Differentiated channels for A2A/A2G operations

AWACS just needs multiple channels in general, and AI should probably switch channels as needed, for example with ATC, AWACS, communicating within flight, etc.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• 3 months later...