anybody use a 2080ti with a VR Headset??

The_Nephilim

Hey Everybody,

I had ordered a 2080ti as my 1080ti has a missing capacitor so I just got a good deal on the 2080ti so I went with that for a bit.. I was just wondering what kind of performance I could expect? I do pretty good with the 1080ti so my guess the 2080ti should be a bit better in VR FPS wise hopefully..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4-AC / Intel i7 11700K @ 5.0Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVME 2TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar  / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Hi, this is my personal experience flying DCS. I have a 2080ti, 32GB, SSD and Q2. Always in multiplayer before VR, on flat screen I had some parameters on medium and others on high with occasional stuttering and freeze on some maps, but the flight experience was generally very good. Now, on VR, the experience changes drastically, and I have no choice to lower everything and deactivate many visual aspects, however, even so, I can fly well without any type of inconvenience. To the point that since I got VR, I've never flown flat again. I plan to get a new powerful Rig/VR combo in the near future.

• Like 1

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3 - DCS: Yak-52 - DCS: M-2000C - DCS: F-16C Viper - DCS: A-10C II Tank Killer - DCS: F/A-18C Hornet - DCS: AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL - DCS: Supercarrier -

DCS: Mi-24P Hind - DCS: AH-64D Apache - DCS: Syria - DCS: Persian Gulf - DCS: Caucasus - DCS: Marianas - DCS: South Atlantic

Wishlist #1: Ground crew, vehicles and support equipment on busy Air Base platforms. Wishlist #2: Douglas A-4 Skyhawk (early series)

A-4.jpg

On 11/30/2023 at 8:34 PM, The_Nephilim said:

Hey Everybody,

I had ordered a 2080ti as my 1080ti has a missing capacitor so I just got a good deal on the 2080ti so I went with that for a bit.. I was just wondering what kind of performance I could expect? I do pretty good with the 1080ti so my guess the 2080ti should be a bit better in VR FPS wise hopefully..

I played for a year on a 2060. With modest settings, some FOV limiting and not going nuts with mission complexity, I could get a decent performance (72/36 fps with motion reprojection activated, 72 almost all the time except on the ground or flying over cities). With your 2080ti you should have no problems.

Which headset are you using?

Edited by diego999

Hi thnx guys the GPU should be here tomorrow looking forward to getting it. I have a reverb G2 Specs are in my signature 🙂

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4-AC / Intel i7 11700K @ 5.0Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVME 2TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar  / Buttkicker Gamer 2

nah that is cool easily overlooked.. I am just hoping I can achieve 40-50% rez with above 60fps steady, as I currently trying 60hz in the headset as 90hz was just too high to try and maintain 90fps..

You can try reducing the FoV to at least 85% (something I can barely notice in my Quest 2). You'll be saving 15% of the total pixel count the GPU needs to render every frame.

Another useful thing is foveated rendering. Your G2 doesn't have eye tracking, but there is a fixed mode that works very well. Like my Quest 2, your G2 is wasting GPU processing power by rendering at full resolution the exterior part of the image that you see blurry anyways due to the fresnel lenses.

Those two settings changed my VR experience from barely playable to very satisfactory. With modest settings that is.

how do I change the FOV on a Reverb G2, I already tried the fixed foveated rendering did not seem to help much not sure why tho??

You can change the field of view with the OpenXR Toolkit.  However, you will likely get the best results with DLAA and a custom resolution in OpenXR.  Am I correct in that you are trying to maintain 60fps because you are using Motion Reprojection?  MR is working well with some planes now, but you have to turn down some settings like forest details and visibility.  Set Visibility Range to Medium, shadows off or flat, textures Medium, terrain textures low, no AOC, no SSLR.  I have the 3080Ti, so you should have good results with the 2080Ti.

15 minutes ago, Glide said:

You can change the field of view with the OpenXR Toolkit.  However, you will likely get the best results with DLAA and a custom resolution in OpenXR.  Am I correct in that you are trying to maintain 60fps because you are using Motion Reprojection?  MR is working well with some planes now, but you have to turn down some settings like forest details and visibility.  Set Visibility Range to Medium, shadows off or flat, textures Medium, terrain textures low, no AOC, no SSLR.  I have the 3080Ti, so you should have good results with the 2080Ti.

Hey I will recheck the OpenXR toolkit thnx.. I am unable to use DLAA with the current 1080ti but should be good when I get the 2080ti.. I am trying to maintain 60FPS as that is the HZ rate I set the game at as I can not maintain 90fps.

I do not use reprojection, it is better to maintain the desired HZ/FPS rate and then usually the closer I stay to 60FPS in VR I get no stutters, I tried MR but the heloblades look funny when using MR so I dont use it..

I have lowered most settings to the minimum if not off. I am able at 30% REz of the G@ able to maintain 59-60FPS.. I just retried the Fixed Foveated Rendering it seemed to have helped. I am going to reneable toolkit and see about the FOV..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

how do I change the FOV on a Reverb G2, I already tried the fixed foveated rendering did not seem to help much not sure why tho??

I don't know as I change it with Oculus Tray Tool. Maybe there is something equivalent for the G2?

Fixed foveated gave me around 5% increase in performance in Quality/Wide mode (from OpenXR Toolkit). It's not a lot, but is noticeable. 

well I changing the FOV with the OpenXR Toolkit and it was very wierd and it did not seem to have the desired effect. I will not be using it as it made a segment of the screen smaller but the original image was still there ????

maybe I can try and make the foveated size a bit bigger. I did retry it and I guess it has a little affect but not much.. I will keep messing with it butthe 2080ti should be here by this afternoon I can not wait..

I had uninstalled the Fixed Foveated render as it did not seem to work well, the FPS seemed a bit better when it was uninstalled.. I did not notice much of a bump with the 2080ti, heck some users with 4090 still have FPS issues but I digress..

It should be fine for now will tweak it a bit more but it looks like it will still hold 60fps but I was able to bump the rez to 50% and still get 60FPS so I guess it is all good for now.. I sure hope we can get some more optimisations for DCS.. it is so cool in VR..

EDIT: I just tried using my USB-C port in my video card and I could swore it looks much better now seems more crisper more monitor like image for some wierd reason.. I tried to Google what using the USB-C port can enhance the image but to no avail. I am just wondering am I seeing things here or is the image a bit better??

Edited by The_Nephilim