Pimax Crystal Eyes/screens misaligned

Dr T

Posting here while I await a response from Pimax support in case anyone else has had the same issue.

I received a brand new Pimax Crystal today. Plugged it in and set up just fine. Installed Pimax Play, OpenXR, and PimaxXR (per https://pimax.com/how-to-run-openxr-on-the-pimax-crystal/). Updated the firmware.

The headset boots up just fine. When you put it on, the pimax logo and the "three dot" loading screen are aligned appropriately. However, when it tries to display content, one of the eyes/screens is severely misaligned. It's like I'm looking at them cross-eyed. If I switch the headset to all-in-one standalone mode (like if you're going to play games native to the phone app/headset) everything looks just fine. It's only if I try to view content with it linked to my PC that everything is misaligned.

I've tried rebooting my pc, rebooting the headset, reseating all the connections, updating my display drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling pimax play/OpenXR/PimaxXr. Nothing remedies the problem.

Any advice?

I'm coming at this after playing with an HP G2 for about 8 months that worked just fine. I'm not exactly an expert, but I'm also not naive to setting this stuff up.

have you tried to Google the issue or over at the Pimax forums to see if there are similar issues.. I am pretty sure you can not be the only one that has had this happen.. I sure hope you get it fixed..

other then that how does the Crystal compare to the G2?? Curious to hear your thoughts..

Edited by The_Nephilim
spelling..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

No joy on googling/searching, and I don't see anything relevant on their forums. I can't even get logged into their forums to post; it keeps saying "Your account is not recognized and cannot log in at this time".  

To say I'm disappointed/frustrated right now is an understatement.

is the DP cable like a regular DP cable or is it a proprietary type cable?? PErhaps if it is just a regular DP cable try an different cable?? Wierd it works fine in standalone which probally means it is not misaligned hardware wise maybe it is just the cable??

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

That sounds strange.

You got the crossed eyed effect only if you try to play games or did this happen even if you have the start screen?

Have you deinstalled all the WMR stuff before installing the Pimax SW?

You have to use 2 different accounts for Pimax. One is for the support, the other one for the shop. Strange, but that's how it works for me.

• Thanks 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

3 hours ago, Nedum said:

That sounds strange.

You got the crossed eyed effect only if you try to play games or did this happen even if you have the start screen?

Have you deinstalled all the WMR stuff before installing the Pimax SW?

You have to use 2 different accounts for Pimax. One is for the support, the other one for the shop. Strange, but that's how it works for me.

The OP stated unless I read it wrong that when using the standalone feature it is perfectly fine the OP Only has an issue when he plugs into the PC with the DP Cable.. I think maybe something amiss with the cable and maybe the OP could try a different cable??

It uses their proprietary cable. It has 2 USB connections and a display port on one end and goes to a single display port on the headset side. The 2 usb connections go to a hub that comes with the headset. 

And yeah, the screens are fine as it’s booting up.

When you first put on the headset it has some prompts that help you align it with your eyes (adjust it up or down) and then a test pattern so it can set up its automatic IPD adjustment. Those screens and anything it displays after that are misaligned, but only if it’s in PC connection mode as opposed to all-in-one.  

I didn’t realize there were different accounts required for their store vs support pages, so I do appreciate making me aware of that. 🙂

I’ll give it another try today and uninstall the WMR stuff. I also shouldn’t need to run/enable OpenXR, right?

thanks, everyone!

Ok, now I really feel like an idiot.  I rechecked all my connections and then went through all the settings/menus again. Don't know how or why this got changed, but this slider somehow had gotten moved over.

Problem solved. 🤦‍♂️

image.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr T said:

Ok, now I really feel like an idiot.  I rechecked all my connections and then went through all the settings/menus again. Don't know how or why this got changed, but this slider somehow had gotten moved over.

Problem solved. 🤦‍♂️

image.png

Well at least you figured out what was wrong. would like to hear your thoughts on this headset compared to the G2..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr T said:

It’s like night and day. I can’t imagine going back. The wider field of view and dynamic foveated rendering are game changers. 

Does the crystal need a battery or something so it can be a standalone or is it able to do both where it has a Displayport and usb cable to plug in?