No increase in FPS from RTX2060 to RTX4080!

Hello all,

So I sold my body to some ugly fat ladies and upgraded my GPU from RTX 2060 Super to an RTX 4080. I also doubled my RAM from 32GB to 64GB. This was all done professionally in a computer shop since I have two left hands and possibly also brain damage or just plain stupid.

I flew a quick start mission before upgrading and kept a close eye on my FPS throughout the entire single player mission. FPS was around 40-60 FPS with occasional drops to 25. After the upgrade I was convinced I would see a dramatic difference. I was wrong. I do not see any noticeable difference or perhaps I now also have a problem with my eye sight (good thing I sold my body before the rest fails too).

OK, so clearly I must be doing something wrong. I was smart enough though to delete the contents of the fxo and metashaders2 folders in saved games. In fact, it even gave me an erection that I thought of it.

Is there any guru out here who could explain to a noob like me the basic steps on how to optimize graphics settings in DCS? I have seen a dozen YouTube videos from really good content creators but it is so much depending on what setups they have and i haven’t found anybody who explains the basic optimization steps, no matter what hardware you have.

For example, I started by turning VSYNC and GSYNC OFF and in DCS I did not put a limit on the max FPS (slider all the way to the right) because I want to see what the max FPS is that I can get. Turns out it is just the same as before. I put my monitor refresh rate to 60 because I learned on YouTube what’s the point in increasing that if you can’t deliver the FPS anyway.

For the rest I have:

Intel i9-9900
RTX 4080
64GB RAM
NVME SSD M.2 1TB with DCS on it (C drive)
2 monitors of each 1920x1080 making for a 3840x1080 in DCS with 60 Hz refresh rate

Thanks a lot for the help because I clearly feel really depressed. YouTube is full of people running DCS maxed out with incredible graphics and now that I joined the club with an expensive graphics card I do not see much difference.

Edited by Hammerhead

My rig:

My YouTube Channel: https://goo.gl/mWdlQk

PC Specs: Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz | GeForce RTX 2060Super 8GB | Iiyama Black Hawk G-Master 75Hz dual monitors |16 GB RAM | ASUS Z77 Sabertooth mobo | Saitek PRO Combat Rudder Pedals | TM HOTAS Cougar | TrackIR5 | Win10x64

Many situations in DCS can be CPU limited, those with lots of objects i.e. cities, aircraft or other units. In those cases you won’t see any improvement from a stronger graphics card. A better graphics card will allow you to run higher resolution, antialiasing, textures and such.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5