Orion(2) Travel

Nightdare

I found the Taurus stroke front to back for the levers is 242mm, my old Virpil Mongoose V1 is 140mm

But the only thing I can find on the Orion is that is has 80 degrees of travel

Anybody has the range?

• Intel I5 13600k / AsRock Z790 Steel Legend / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb / Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 64Gb / Adata 960 Max / HP Reverb G2 v2
  • Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick, T50 Throttle,  ACE Interceptor Rudder Pedals / WinWing Orion2  18, 18 UFC&HUD / Thrustmaster MFD Cougar / Logitech Flight Panel / VKB SEM V  / DIY Button Box

image.png

For the F-18 grip without finger lift kit it is 203,76mm (you can check that in the Orion 1 manual, the dimension are identical to the Orion 2)

For the F-16 grip it is 245mm (you can check that in the F-16 handle manual).

The F-15 isn't given but it will be very similar to the F-18.

The inclusion of the finger lift kit should not change the value as it does not change the grip mounting height.

Overall the value seems of low value as it is not really an indication of actual space requirements. For example the F-16 grip is moved on a plane of 245mm but requires about 370mm of space due to the handle shape and the detent mechanics. So be aware of that.

Edited by Ishigami
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ishigami said:

For the F-18 grip without finger lift kit it is 203,76mm (you can check that in the Orion 1 manual, the dimension are identical to the Orion 2)

For the F-16 grip it is 245mm (you can check that in the F-16 handle manual).

The F-15 isn't given but it will be very similar to the F-18.

The inclusion of the finger lift kit should not change the value as it does not change the grip mounting height.

Thank you, I totally glossed over the Orion V1 manual

1 hour ago, Ishigami said:

Overall the value seems of low value as it is not really an indication of actual space requirements. For example the F-16 grip is moved on a plane of 245mm but requires about 370mm of space due to the handle shape and the detent mechanics. So be aware of that.

I am, my old Virpil sticks out 15mm in front of the base footprint and that's without my fingers wrapping around the grip, which needs about 25mm extra to manipulate the buttons when fully forward

The Orion seems to have it's levers mounted further back on the base, keeping the (F-18) levers within the base's footprint

• Intel I5 13600k / AsRock Z790 Steel Legend / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb / Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 64Gb / Adata 960 Max / HP Reverb G2 v2
  • Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick, T50 Throttle,  ACE Interceptor Rudder Pedals / WinWing Orion2  18, 18 UFC&HUD / Thrustmaster MFD Cougar / Logitech Flight Panel / VKB SEM V  / DIY Button Box

image.png

That I can confirm. The F-15 and F-18 grip stay inside the base footprint in terms of forward and aft travel. May I point out that both the F-15 and F-18 grips have a three way toggle switch on the outboard handle (countermeasure switch for F-15, exterior light switch for F-18) that sticks out beyond the base footprint to the side. For both grips that adds about an additional 20mm to the width to the outboard side.

The F-16 handle will stick out of the base footprint in forward and aft travel as well as inboard and outboard. The rail system and guide plate adds about 22mm outboard and 28mm forward and aft of the base footprint. The F-16 grip itself will add about 45mm to the inboard width and extends about 55mm beyond the aft end of the base footprint in off and about 25mm forward in full after burner.

In all cases the forward located USB port will require about 60mm of additional space forward of the base footprint to connect the USB cable with an acceptable radius in the cable.

Happy new year.

Edited by Ishigami
  • Like 1